Pcn At Bradfield Road Car Park

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Any intelligent stable person can see and read a sign and either comply or go elsewhere. But that's not what motorists do is it, can't park more than 5 yards from their destination.

The problem is that private parking companies make most or all of their money from the "fines" they levy. They are thus heavily incentivised to penalise legitimate motorists in addition to the ones parking badly. The classic example is a private car park for the residents of a block of flats. The management company, for whatever reason, decide to bring in a private parking company - who stick up signs and issue permits to the residents. The signs quickly dissuade most fly parkers, so the only revenue stream now for the PPC is ticketing the legitimate residents. So: your permit slipped slightly? £100 please! Your wheel was on the white line of the bay? £100! The permits all expired and your replacement somehow got lost in the post? £100 per day, thank you! You parked by the doorway to load some heavy furniture because you were moving in or out (or had just bought a sofa)? £100! Etc.

There is an easy way to tell whether the PPC's main motivation is to deter illegitimate parking or to fleece genuine punters, and that is the prominence of the £100 charge on the signs. If I wanted to deter people, I would have large signs saying something like "£100 charge for misuse" in a very large font, with slightly smaller lettering saying "see terms and conditions for full details". In reality, in most signs the £100 charge is in small or very small print. They actively want you to disobey the signs.

As an example, in the Supreme Court case Parking Eye vs Beavis, which concerned a 40 minute overstay by a genuine customer at a "free parking for 2 hours" retail park, it was revealed that the retail park owners weren't paying Parking Eye to manage the car park, Parking Eye were paying the owners £50,000 a year for the privilege! It's like a judge having to pay £50K p/a to hold their post in the judiciary, but in return they get to keep all the fines they levy.

If the parking company does not know the name of the driver (the driver is under no obligation to tell them) they can pursue the Registered Keeper through the 2012 PoFA Sch 4 legislation, but if they know the name and address of the driver they can dispense with the PoFA requirements.

"PoFA is fairly prescriptive about the steps that a PPC must take in order to be able to pursue a KEEPER - either in lieu of a windscreen ticket, or following after a windscreen ticket. A letter must be written to the KEEPER - a Notice to Keeper (NTK), and it must include certain key information and be written within certain time limits. Failure to follow these can be a winning point at either POPLA, or potentially in court."

In addition, signage must be clear and unambiguous and be well lit after dark.

If you have any friends or family  abroad with no intention to come to live in UK get them to write and claim they were the driver. They will get lots of nasty mail but there's little that can happen to them there. When the driver is known the keeper is out of the picture.

Edited by dutch

14 hours ago, dutch said:

If you have any friends or family  abroad with no intention to come to live in UK get them to write and claim they were the driver. They will get lots of nasty mail but there's little that can happen to them there. When the driver is known the keeper is out of the picture.

Or you can just open your eyes, use your brain and park in a car park, between the lines, and don't stay longer than allowed. That way you won't get a fine, won't be a PITA to others, and won't spend your life in a pointless battle with a parking company.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Or you can just open your eyes, use your brain and park in a car park, between the lines, and don't stay longer than allowed. That way you won't get a fine, won't be a PITA to others, and won't spend your life in a pointless battle with a parking company.

We don't get any fines. Had only one private PCN in 30 years time and that was not a fine, it was an invoice!

I repeat, private PCN is not a fine and if you cannot figure that out maybe you should open your eyes as well.

Do a little online research and see what stories you can find on this matter and be surprised what is going on there on that level. It will be a lot more interesting and educative than this forum.

1 hour ago, dutch said:

We don't get any fines. Had only one private PCN in 30 years time and that was not a fine, it was an invoice!

I repeat, private PCN is not a fine and if you cannot figure that out maybe you should open your eyes as well.

Do a little online research and see what stories you can find on this matter and be surprised what is going on there on that level. It will be a lot more interesting and educative than this forum.

Yes it's an invoice, not a fine, slip of the pen, whatever. You had a service provided, in this case, somewhere to park, and by that terms of the provision of that service you had costs to pay, hence an invoice, not a fine.

As for online research, full of people who thought they could get something for nothing, endless stating its not a fine its an invoice, running forums about the exact wording of letters to send or not send, which names to provide or not provide etc etc etc, and then wasted huge amounts of money and time on something easily avoidable. And if and when they "won", what in fact did they win? I would doubt the employees of Parking Eye or whoever could care less, win or lose. They are just doing a job, not wasting their lives on pointless battles.

Edited by Bargepole23

8 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Yes it's an invoice, not a fine, slip of the pen, whatever. You had a service provided, in this case, somewhere to park, and by that terms of the provision of that service you had costs to pay, hence an invoice, not a fine.

As for online research, full of people who thought they could get something for nothing, endless stating its not a fine its an invoice, running forums about the exact wording of letters to send or not send, which names to provide or not provide etc etc etc, and then wasted huge amounts of money and time on something easily avoidable. And if and when they "won", what in fact did they win? I would doubt the employees of Parking Eye or whoever could care less, win or lose. They are just doing a job, not wasting their lives on pointless battles.

Go on....whats your vested interest in all of this? Do you work for Excel Parking? :)

26 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Really?

Private parking ticket loophole. Step by step guide. Part 2. - YouTube

How to Defeat Private Parking Tickets - YouTube

30 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Go on....whats your vested interest in all of this? Do you work for Excel Parking? :)

Nope. No vested interest other than I tire of seeing selfish motorists parking wherever they like, without thought for others.

Parking Eye or similar should be given a contract to enforce parking on pavements in the city centre, bus lanes, cycle lanes and all other the other places that get filled with cars where they shouldn't be.

12 minutes ago, dutch said:

OK then, not just forums, YouTube as well. Your point is?

15 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

We agree on this ground that people who truly park very bad should be corrected one way or other.

My point is that many private parking companies use criminal ways to get their money. Their letters get unbelievably out of order and their behaviour is ridiculous.

I only handled one PCN for a friend of mine and will never forget the way they treated me. They didn't get a penny but if I would have received one more letter from them I would have sued them for £450 plus expenses. I warned them and made it very clear to them.

Remembering this experience makes me reply to this topic.

11 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Nope. No vested interest other than I tire of seeing selfish motorists parking wherever they like, without thought for others.

Parking Eye or similar should be given a contract to enforce parking on pavements in the city centre, bus lanes, cycle lanes and all other the other places that get filled with cars where they shouldn't be.

None of these have cars parked in them, your talking garbage.

Parking enforcement is fine but the amount of the fine should be in line with what the infringement, private parking companies charge way in excess of what could reasonably be expected and therefore need challenging.

3 hours ago, top4718 said:

None of these have cars parked in them, your talking garbage.

Parking enforcement is fine but the amount of the fine should be in line with what the infringement, private parking companies charge way in excess of what could reasonably be expected and therefore need challenging.

ALL of these places have cars parked in/on them on a daily basis.  Mainly because the idle lard-arsed driver can't be arsed (or isn't physically capable) of walking to wherever they want to be from a proper car park.  Just google 'parking like a tw*t for daily examples.