Grimesthorpe Part 3

---------

Hi Peter, Yes thats they Arcade you mentioned, the little fairground

might have been passing through when i remember was there.

I was showing my brother your photo on the pier he remembers all

that area, he has a photo of himself top of the hill with his bicycle.

---------

We talked about the little railway that ran right under the big railway

bridge i think its got about 5 archers, is that still there.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Nice to hear about your brother's photo.

Yes, the railway is still there. We can see it operating in the distance from our window. Haven't seen the engine close up yet. Will have to have a ride :) Here's some info...........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltburn_Miniature_Railway

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian,

Nice to hear about your brother's photo.

Yes, the railway is still there. We can see it operating in the distance from our window. Haven't seen the engine close up yet. Will have to have a ride :) Here's some info...........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltburn_Miniature_Railway

Peter.

-------------

Thanks Peter for that info was intresting some of it as i remember in

1947, still plenty miniature railways around the country.

I wonder if them track are British Steel Made.

PS, I hope TaTa steel gets sorted i'am feeling strong somut i'll come

out of it for the workers, glad i'am out of it but good luck to the other

workforce. :thumbsup:

-------------

I wonder if them track are British Steel Made.

:

Maybe if they were not on strike?

--------------------

Hi Peter, Like the picture but just can't re-call them steps.

Are you now up and running with your internet now. Brian

Hi Brian,

I sometimes went up the pathway as a child and seem to remember walking up steps but don't recall exactly how they looked. I've presumed that it's left my memory now as the stonework looks as though it's always been there. The last time I had a look, less than a year ago, the path was very muddy and difficult to access.

Yes, my internet is up and running. My computer could do with renewing though as takes forever to sort things :)

Peter.

Hi Peter & Brian I remember my mum telling me when I was little that those steps & pathway led into the quarry, my mum was born on Upwell Hill, I seem to remember her telling me a child was killed playing up there when she was a little girl and she would have been 100yrs old. I remember when I was little we use to go up those steps to get on to Cookies field. Jean J

Hi Peter & Brian I remember my mum telling me when I was little that those steps & pathway led into the quarry, my mum was born on Upwell Hill, I seem to remember her telling me a child was killed playing up there when she was a little girl and she would have been 100yrs old. I remember when I was little we use to go up those steps to get on to Cookies field. Jean J

Hi Jean,

It's interesting that the steps led into the quarry. Possibly all the sandstone stonework on the steps came from the quarry. Also I would think the pathway was there long before the houses on my photos.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

--------------------

Hi Jean J, Peter, Thanks for the pics and it was the secone pic down

that brought it too mind, that end house looking across at now

the Westbourne Nursing Home.

Times i've walked pass them steps but i thought they led to the end house

back garden. Hope both well. Brian :|

Hi Jean,my friend from school many moons ago lived in that house,her name was Mary Machin had a brother called David.I can vaguely recall the pathway, was there a corn field at the back.Ran up the rocky hill a few times going home and slipped down it a few times going to school.Hope your well love.x

--------------------

Hi Peter, Like the picture but just can't re-call them steps.

Are you now up and running with your internet now. Brian

Can't believe them steps have stood the test of time for so long walked up em in 70's every day to feed racing pigeons most people kept them on field lofts all facing east !

Can't believe them steps have stood the test of time for so long walked up em in 70's every day to feed racing pigeons most people kept them on field lofts all facing east !

The pathway and steps looked remarkably fresh when I took the photos. At the time I felt that they may had been recently treated to some TLC.