Grimesthorpe Part 3

On 27/08/2022 at 08:10, gaz 786 said:

Thought I would have a visit to the original thread ...what did happen to the Ball Inn and is reform Chapel still in use ? Must visit again its been a long time now since my  last walkabout ... no.pun intended for the £10 poms who deserted Grimey !

Hi Gaz 786, Reform Chapel closed last  September .  What will happen to it in the future is not known at present.

On 17/02/2022 at 15:47, Bowls said:

Hello does anyone know anything about John Carnell

I bumped into John Carnell on saturday 27/8/22, out side the market on the Moor, had  quite a chat with him, lives Handsworth . He's not on social media, He often calls in the market tuesday and saturday morning.

The last time I spoke to John Carnell was at the tip on shirecliffe in the late 80s he was in my class at Owler Lane 

That photo of Mrs Taffindar in hospital could be there Stevan when Geoff Sockett shot in the head with a pallet rifle in the 50s

rf2690  could you please tell me if Paul any Kay Bramhall still have the noranton pub

I played for Owlerlane school from 1958 to 1962 when I left Mr Wilson used to take us to Concorde Park 

All the time I played for them we only won one game and that was in my last year 

Guest makapaka
4 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Pitch now gone area unrecognisable res still there though !

Would that have been Jimmy childs pitch?

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Not far away jimmy child's was at bottom of hill football pitch was around half way up hill then you had gunstands at top of hill if my memory serves me well?

I was brightside/wincobank side of hill. 

we played football on what we called top field off jenkin road.

we knocked about at reservoir at top of hill and now again walked down hill from there and played football on what we called Jimmy childs now and again.

that would have been mid to late 80s tho.

i remember gun stands on wincobank hill behind what is now ridge view housing estate.

Edited by makapaka

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, gaz 786 said:

My first house was on forthill Rd fairly new estate just off Jenkins Rd lived up there 3 years used to go in forum pub on quiz nights can remember a chip van on a Wednesday night outside pub ! 

Yeah i was only a kid but I remember the chip van being there - my dad was a regular in the forum.

i went in a few times when I was older but i used to go in the pubs at the bottom of the hill - railway / sun etc more.