Sheffield Clean Air Zone

14 hours ago, chris_calcite said:

...the subsequent early scrapping of many vehicles with years of useful life left in them.

so don't scrap them?

i know plenty of people who never drive anywhere near a city (CAZ or otherwise), and would be happy to buy a well maintained car with years of life in it.

57 minutes ago, ads36 said:

so don't scrap them?

i know plenty of people who never drive anywhere near a city (CAZ or otherwise), and would be happy to buy a well maintained car with years of life in it.

Aye, that'd be ideal. Unfortunately the 'old car twitter' that I follow is currently full of folk spotting non-ULEZ compliant cars in London that people have sent to the scrapyard because they are 'too old' for anyone to want them or they are perceived to be of very little monetary value. Send these people you know down south right now because there's a lot of bargains to be had. 

15 hours ago, Fredderick said:

It’s all about the modelling. Including the ring road means more vehicles have to make smaller changes to reach the legal limit. If the ring road was not included a far smaller number of vehicles (only those that need to go in past the ring road) would need to make a much, much bigger change to amount to the same reduction. It simply does not work to get down to the legal threshold, hence why the ring road is in. 

This is correct. The road layout in Sheffield means that a great deal of through traffic uses the inner ring road, so if the Council need to meet the legal threshold, it has to be within the CAZ.

21 hours ago, peak4 said:

The concept of including the inner ring road within the scheme seems a little strange.
How much pressure will that put on the smaller road just outside it, which were clearly not designed to carry through traffic?

An important point to note is which vehicles this applies to it is not domestic cars and so it is not going to be creating problems elsewhere and it is not preventing through traffic

2 hours ago, ads36 said:

so don't scrap them?

A well maintained Taxi?  Run on a shoestring and done 200k more like.

1 hour ago, Brian Hardy said:

So,

Every thursday morning I drop off my little 5 yr old grandson at his school St Maries  as far as annie bynnol  is concerned this makes me a hypocrite i.e  a man who says one thing and does another.  Ms bynnol has no idea who I am  or what I do in life, and I take this name calling as a personal  insult 

with no regards.

Brian.

For decades (at least 25 years at St Marie's) schools have asked parents and carers not to drop off children outside their school for safety and health reasons.

In that time there has been a huge increase in support for things 'green'.

Support that is not reflected in the huge increase in school traffic.

I would call this behaviour hypocritical.

It will be interesting to see if all of this affects the number of tourists coming to Sheffield to stay in the new big hotels being built in the City Centre. If they don’t want to walk dragging  their suitcases up hill from the station, a taxi will be very expensive; if they decide to get on the bus the bus stop may be quite a way from the hotel. 

1 hour ago, BigAl1 said:

An important point to note is which vehicles this applies to it is not domestic cars and so it is not going to be creating problems elsewhere and it is not preventing through traffic

Broomhill has pollution levels higher than parts of the CAZ.

Avoiding Hannover Way will see a large increase in North/South traffic trying to cross the main roads out of town at the junctions with the Crookesmoor Road, the A57, Glossop Road and Clarkehouse Road in Broomhill.

This will effect Crookes and Walkley as well as all the current 'rat runs'.

Similar problems will occur elsewhere eg Hunters Bar.

Long distance HGVs are not a big problem but delivery vans and lorries are.

Through traffic does use Hannover Way.

As Broomhill cannot become part of CAZ( Lodge Moor and Derbyshire traffic) the only solution is to take Hannover Way out of the CAZ-for now.

40 minutes ago, Poll said:

It will be interesting to see if all of this affects the number of tourists coming to Sheffield to stay in the new big hotels being built in the City Centre. If they don’t want to walk dragging  their suitcases up hill from the station, a taxi will be very expensive; if they decide to get on the bus the bus stop may be quite a way from the hotel. 

Any visitor using the station will breathe the most polluted air in Sheffield.

The stench outside and inside the black cabs will stay on them for weeks.

Thanks to modern technology and private hire/Uber the visitor can pay less and avoid stinky black cabs-get rid.

There are no buses from the station to the centre-use the tram.

I didnt say I dropped my grandson off outside his school,  I dont drive past his school or any other school for that matter on principle.

Now  25years of being green  ( your figures)  my green history  goes all the way back to 1984 and I can assure you  my green history is a lot greener than yours

I built a windmill that powered electricity via a repurposed battery bank,this provided all the lights in the house.

I built an inverter that  converted 24volts to 240 volts for mains power.

We had a generator that was only used when absolutley neccessary and when it was in use I built a cooling system from it that heated the house.

I have also invented an engine that will produce nil emmissions and am in the process of getting this in the market place.

How dare you call me a hypocrite .

Brian