Sign in to follow this  

Outdoor swimming/bathing opportunities in Sheffield.

I used to go swimming in the Serpentine lake in Hyde Park London. There was a lido and it was lovely.

London certainly knows how to embrace open water swimming. There's quite a lot of places there now, all very successful.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/jul/24/outdoor-swimming-tour-london-top-10-lidos-and-ponds

Used to have a decent open air pool in longley park ,used to be busy when we all went at night and climbed over fence :hihi:

We did the same after closing time at the pub, great days:D

Some pictures of it HERE.

Remember in the late sixties early seventies spending all summer holidays at the lido mill houses,when we had proper summers lasting weeks.

Does anyone remember wearing rosary beads as a fashion accessory with our bikinis and hippy bells round our necks?oh how I long for those days again!

Used to have a decent open air pool in longley park ,used to be busy when we all went at night and climbed over fence :hihi:

How would you like it if they built a new one and some youths from the council estate broke in at night and started messing about in the pool?

What goes around comes around

---------- Post added 29-06-2018 at 13:46 ----------

We did the same after closing time at the pub, great days:D

Some pictures of it HERE.

Or some drunken loonies from the local pub?

Even all the cities half size of Sheffield I have lived in had an outdoor swimming pool.

Thatcher ruined the north and it still shows everywhere.

Money is pumped in stupid market and city centre development focussed on money business finances.

In UK real human necessities like a decent outdoor pool are secondary to the ££££ mentality.

Edited by dutch

We used to go to Millhouses lido a lot as kids for a family day out.

whats up wi don.

Last I jump in theer I got Plague. :hihi: Hathersage pool is great so are the Ques to get in the Flippin place.:gag:

When I was a kid I could grab my swim gear and go for an outdoor swim.

It's no wonder todays kids grab a knife, we have taken all great things away from them.

A proper outdoor swimming pool (not like Millhouses Lido) with diving facilities would be great. Fat chance of that ever happening though!

i remember the Lido in Millhouses park and especially the summer of 76 when most of our year wagged it and spent 2 days in the Lido, hiding from teachers when it was reported a large number of 14-15 yr olds were in the park and Lido.

happy days and memories from millhouses park the Lido and the kids paddling pools which have now all gone and made way for a small kids area? wheres the logic, there already was one.

an outdoor pool should be re-built in the park.

I agree 100%. Just return Millhouses Lido to what it used to be and update it. That'll do very nicely thanks.

I agree 100%. Just return Millhouses Lido to what it used to be and update it. That'll do very nicely thanks.

Why can"t we have a Clifton Park in Sheffield, spent many a day there with the grandkids, a big city like ours and we"ve nothing to compare.