Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

Edited by Magilla

I've not followed each and every post on this thread, but I'm surprised that Jeremy 'I'm an entrepreneur' Hunt's declaration that if firms went bust as a consequence of a no deal Brexit, he would tell them "their sacrifice had been worth it":

Make UK, which represents manufacturing and engineering firms, said these companies were “the backbone of British industry, and the suggestion that losing them is a price worth paying leaves many speechless”.

Leaving without a deal would be “an act of economic vandalism”, a spokesman said. “We call on any and every politician advocating no deal to think carefully about the enormous harm it would do to businesses and the millions of families who rely on them.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/30/jeremy-hunt-i-would-tell-bust-businesses-no-deal-brexit-was-worth-it

Fortuitously for Hunt and the Tory rank and file, many of these companies are in parts of the country which traditionally have not been Conservative strongholds. So the political fallout won't matter much, and Hunt can shed his crocodile tears knowing full well his party's fortunes won't be too badly damaged, and the "sacrifices" won't be made by him or his MPs

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

I am an opponent of global capitalism. If this makes me a 'traitor' in your eyes, so be it.

You can stand up for the corporations. I will stand with the people.

Yet you stand with Boris Johnson and Nigel farage who would happily sell your eyeballs to the highest bidder. So strange.

10 hours ago, L00b said:

Why would any country announce any trade-related concessions at this stage, when the U.K. keeps making policy promises not to charge any tariffs?

If the trouble in Hong Kong escalates further, at some point the Chinese ambassador will be calling the Prime Minister in to remind him/her that if the UK wants a post Brexit trade deal they had better stop backing the democracy protests there.

A no deal Brexit will have us crawling to all manner of vile characters like Xi Jinping, Putin, Trump, Mohammad bin Salman, Rodrigo Duterte and Bolsonaro. 😡

2 hours ago, Nightbird said:

Britain is currently in the EU.

You might wish to remind foreign investors urgently.

Because by the evidence of the figures, they've already written you off. That FDI you've not been getting? It would be keeping up the NHS, infrastructural spend and more in 3 to 5 years'time. You'll be lucky if you dodge negative growth next quarter, a recession by definition, before Brexit's even happened. 

The UK wasn't at war nor in economic hardship in 2016, nor since: it did that to itself, by choice.

The epiteths may not be classy. But they're amply deserved.

Edited by L00b

A lot of abusive posts (and those quoting or responding to them) have been removed.
There has been warning after warning already on this thread about name calling, insults and bickering etc.

If you cant have a discussion without resorting to that then unless you want your accounts suspending I really suggest you dont post at all.

Edited by nikki-red

15 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

If the trouble in Hong Kong escalates further, at some point the Chinese ambassador will be calling the Prime Minister in to remind him/her that if the UK wants a post Brexit trade deal they had better stop backing the democracy protests there.

Absolutely... probably being hinted at behind the scenes as we speak.

On 03/07/2019 at 19:42, Mister M said:

I've not followed each and every post on this thread, but I'm surprised that Jeremy 'I'm an entrepreneur' Hunt's declaration that if firms went bust as a consequence of a no deal Brexit, he would tell them "their sacrifice had been worth it":

Make UK, which represents manufacturing and engineering firms, said these companies were “the backbone of British industry, and the suggestion that losing them is a price worth paying leaves many speechless”.

Leaving without a deal would be “an act of economic vandalism”, a spokesman said. “We call on any and every politician advocating no deal to think carefully about the enormous harm it would do to businesses and the millions of families who rely on them.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/30/jeremy-hunt-i-would-tell-bust-businesses-no-deal-brexit-was-worth-it

Fortuitously for Hunt and the Tory rank and file, many of these companies are in parts of the country which traditionally have not been Conservative strongholds. So the political fallout won't matter much, and Hunt can shed his crocodile tears knowing full well his party's fortunes won't be too badly damaged, and the "sacrifices" won't be made by him or his MPs

He'd also be "very sorry" for the jobs lost, but ultimately would still pull the trigger, because after-all, he's very very rich, and it won't hurt him personally.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/jim-ratcliffe-monaco-tax-avoidance-billionaire-ineos-john-mcdonnell-a8783626.html

so...

is there a reason why these super rich want brexit?

to make money?

to avoid tax (which is what a lot of people have said, due to the EU bringing in anti tax avoidance innitiatives) 

39 minutes ago, melthebell said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/jim-ratcliffe-monaco-tax-avoidance-billionaire-ineos-john-mcdonnell-a8783626.html

so...

is there a reason why these super rich want brexit?

to make money?

to avoid tax (which is what a lot of people have said, due to the EU bringing in anti tax avoidance innitiatives) 

Of course Mel.

Because the EU, despite the accusations of being a neoliberal vehicle, is not nearly neoliberal enough for the elites.

When Farage talks about elites he is railing at elites(and that is admittedly what they are) who understand about what would happen if the brakes were released.

What he wants is to be the elite, and impose on the rest of us a new elite that has zero qualms about the impact of what he wants on ordinary people.

No amount of cheeky pints of ale and prolific toking on Bensons can disguise that reality. His job is to screw us over. And leave us in the dust. 

Edited by I1L2T3

3 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Of course Mel.

Because the EU, despite the accusations of being a neoliberal vehicle, is not nearly neoliberal enough for the elites.

When Farage talks about elites he is railing at elites(and that is admittedly what they are) who understand about what would happen if the brakes were released.

What he wants is to be the elite, and impose on the rest of us a new elite that has zero qualms about the impact of what he wants on ordinary people.

No amount of cheeky pints of ale and prolific toking on Bensons can disguise that reality. His job is to screw us over. And leave us in the dust. 

You, sir are a damn fine poster. 

44 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Of course Mel.

Farage is a sock puppet for that new elite, a useful idiot freeloading on their ultra-capitalist wealth.

Bannon has his hands up him so far, it tickles his tonsils. And Bannon takes his orders from the Kochs and other assorted megabillionaires in cahoots, whom no one at US or U.K. street level has heard of, and who are the very ultra-capitalists after every last bit of US/U.K./EU27 governments’ spending.