Failed minimum wage?

I’m not really sure to be truthful, if they only earned the tax-free allowance of £11850, it would be a big loss of income. Perhaps the existence of the NMW drags wages down, I just don’t like the government telling businesses how little they can get away with paying their staff.

Maybe they'd pay even less without the MW?

Only people who gain from a national minimum wage rise are the govt from increased income tax and national insurance.

Joe public loses what we gain through price rises for goods and services.

Calculate the increase you gained this April from the new rise and then factor in the price increases of goods/services and then you will realise....

Thats the same for everyone though - technically everyone is getting worse off as increases in goods are growing every week compared to salaries.

I’m not really sure to be truthful, if they only earned the tax-free allowance of £11850, it would be a big loss of income. Perhaps the existence of the NMW drags wages down, I just don’t like the government telling businesses how little they can get away with paying their staff.

Agreed. McDonald's pay staff of a certain age £4.50 per hour, that can't be right.

Now if those staff could collectively bargain higher wages...

Edited by chakademus
Bargain

Agreed. McDonald's pay staff of a certain age £4.50 per hour, that can't be right.

Now if those staff could collectively bargain higher wages...

theres 3 official sets of minimum wage bands i believe?

over 25

between 18 - 24

under 18

---------- Post added 24-07-2018 at 12:44 ----------

Perhaps the existence of the NMW drags wages down,

Thats true to an extent, some companies obviously would pay a lot less without it, but i have also heard some companies saying "they have to pay the minimum wage" and so theyve dragged the wages down to minimum wage level, but they obviously didnt need to.

---------- Post added 24-07-2018 at 12:45 ----------

I just don’t like the government telling businesses how little they can get away with paying their staff.

yeah so youd still be still sending children up chimneys, having no safety precautions, or workers rights too, just like the "olden days" :roll:

Only people who gain from a national minimum wage rise are the govt from increased income tax and national insurance.

Joe public loses what we gain through price rises for goods and services.

Calculate the increase you gained this April from the new rise and then factor in the price increases of goods/services and then you will realise....

If the minimum wage has failed, what do left-wing minded people think will help the poor?

theres 3 official sets of minimum wage bands i believe?

over 25

between 18 - 24

under 18

---------- Post added 24-07-2018 at 12:44 ----------

Thats true to an extent, some companies obviously would pay a lot less without it, but i have also heard some companies saying "they have to pay the minimum wage" and so theyve dragged the wages down to minimum wage level, but they obviously didnt need to.

---------- Post added 24-07-2018 at 12:45 ----------

yeah so youd still be still sending children up chimneys, having no safety precautions, or workers rights too, just like the "olden days" :roll:

Where on earth did you obtain that rubbish from the content of my posts? I appreciate that you disagree with everything that I say in the false belief that I’m a Tory, but for god’s sake man, get real. :loopy:

How are the gas chambers coming on by the way?

Millions of families 'worse off' than 15 years ago!

http://https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44926447

In 2003, households on the lower half of incomes typically earnt £14,900.

In 2016/17 that figure had fallen to £14,800, the research shows.

I have never heard anyone say what a great Chancellor was, because he boosted those at the bottoms wages.

The people that I work with have pay hikes to keep ahead of the minimum wage, so why are people not grateful, and why is the BBC saying people are poorer?

I would not believe a word said by the BBC Organisation.

Angel1.