Failed minimum wage?

and why is the BBC saying people are poorer?

How is this confusing to you?

---------- Post added 24-07-2018 at 17:58 ----------

Thats the same for everyone though - technically everyone is getting worse off as increases in goods are growing every week compared to salaries.

Obviously you compare an annual salary increase to the annual rate of inflation :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 24-07-2018 at 18:00 ----------

Agreed. McDonald's pay staff of a certain age £4.50 per hour, that can't be right.

Now if those staff could collectively bargain higher wages...

The NMW doesn't somehow curtail or stop union bargaining.

Don't forget those working hard on the minimum wage, yet still can't afford to put a roof over their head. Channel 4's Working and Homeless program last night. Not all were zero hour contracts, but full time workers.

Shouldn't be a problem here, plenty of affordable properties available via SCC.

https://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/PropertySearch/Results?Sender=ResultsPage&AttemptedLocationName=Sheffield+(Sheffield)&PreviousAttemptedLocationName=Sheffield+(Sheffield)&AttemptedLocationLongitude=-1.4685214886&AttemptedLocationLatitude=53.3825102071&SearchRadius=5&Location.Latitude=53.3825102071&Location.Longitude=-1.4685214886&Location.Name=Sheffield+(Sheffield)&SortOrder=0&PreviousSortOrder=0&PropertyID=&AllocationScheme=556&AdvertTypes=1&ConfigurablePanelFilter=13&ConfigurablePanelFilter=12&ConfigurablePanelFilter=11&ConfigurablePanelFilter=14&AccommodationTypes=0&AccommodationTypes=1&AccommodationTypes=2&AccommodationTypes=3&AdvertisedDates=&_=1532450769672

Logic: fix the NMW level at the starting level for Income Tax, then keep them in step.

For 35, 37.5, 40 hrs a week, how many weeks a year?

---------- Post added 24-07-2018 at 18:05 ----------

I would not believe a word said by the BBC Organisation.

Angel1.

new research from the Resolution Foundation indicates.

They're reporting on research.

---------- Post added 24-07-2018 at 18:14 ----------

That means one of two things at present.. either minimum wage is reduced or tax receipts will go down..you choose.

Tax receipts would go down very marginally. The extra retained income would be spent, VAT would be boosted, the economy would be boosted, companies would make a fraction more profit and pay more corporation tax on that.

Years ago before I was self employed I was on a 39 hour week contract i can’t remember The hourly rate I was on but the minimum wage came in and any new starters were given a new job title and were on the minimum wage which was a few quid less per hour than me! We did the same job lol.

For 35, 37.5, 40 hrs a week, how many weeks a year?

---------- Post added 24-07-2018 at 18:05 ----------

They're reporting on research.

---------- Post added 24-07-2018 at 18:14 ----------

Tax receipts would go down very marginally. The extra retained income would be spent, VAT would be boosted, the economy would be boosted, companies would make a fraction more profit and pay more corporation tax on that.

Unless it went to paying down debt....

Years ago before I was self employed I was on a 39 hour week contract i can’t remember The hourly rate I was on but the minimum wage came in and any new starters were given a new job title and were on the minimum wage which was a few quid less per hour than me! We did the same job lol.

I similar thing happened in the NHS

Shouldn't be a problem here, plenty of affordable properties available via SCC.

https://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/PropertySearch/Results?Sender=ResultsPage&AttemptedLocationName=Sheffield+(Sheffield)&PreviousAttemptedLocationName=Sheffield+(Sheffield)&AttemptedLocationLongitude=-1.4685214886&AttemptedLocationLatitude=53.3825102071&SearchRadius=5&Location.Latitude=53.3825102071&Location.Longitude=-1.4685214886&Location.Name=Sheffield+(Sheffield)&SortOrder=0&PreviousSortOrder=0&PropertyID=&AllocationScheme=556&AdvertTypes=1&ConfigurablePanelFilter=13&ConfigurablePanelFilter=12&ConfigurablePanelFilter=11&ConfigurablePanelFilter=14&AccommodationTypes=0&AccommodationTypes=1&AccommodationTypes=2&AccommodationTypes=3&AdvertisedDates=&_=1532450769672

Ms Macbeth, I come from a council estate and wouldn't want to live in any of those.

Unless it went to paying down debt....

No VAT on debt of course, but paying down debt would boost the profits and income of companies owed the money, they would pay more corporation tax and at a guess debt recovery proceedings are economic destruction of value, so by people staying slightly further ahead and paying down debt instead of going bust the economy prospers.