Should the House of Lords be Abolished.

And what danger would that be? as all the government have to do is ignore them and reintroduce any bill. In the instance above they can overturn and reverse any amendments the Lords had voted on, and so far I believe that totals around 14.

But.. back on topic.. ;)

They should not be abolished but IMHO made up of elected regional members from each local area, that way they would better represent the people. It should also be done on a rotational basis where each member can only stand for a maximum of 3 terms. The last bit should also be the same for elected MP's and local government, that way we don't get stuck with the same old career politicians who are just in it for themselves or the glory. It would also give the young a better chance.

Discriminating against the old and the young make better MPs because?

Discriminating against the old and the young make better MPs because?

Who mentioned anything about discriminating against the old or young except you. Put the beer down and try reading the last sentence again. ;)

No, they should not be abolished, perhaps they should be reformed in some way but there is always a need for checks and balances. Putting a speedbump in the way of dodgy legislation is their function and they do it well.

They cannot thwart the will of the elected Government

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament_Acts_1911_and_1949

THEY ARE UN ELECTED!

Members who are not paid a salary may claim a flat rate attendance allowance of £150 or £300 for each sitting day they attend the House. This daily allowance replaces the separate overnight subsistence, day subsistence and office costs in the previous system. Entitlement is determined by attendance, not residence criteria.

The majority of them receive titles for services rendered to the Party they belonged to..

The majority were/are Con -servative.

Too many go there to sleep.

I vote to scrap it now.... If the Government can't make their minds up and really need the Lords to make a decision for them, then scrap the Government.

I vote to scrap it now.... If the Government can't make their minds up and really need the Lords to make a decision for them, then scrap the Government.

The Lords don't make decisions for government. Clearly, you have a fundamental misunderstanding what the role of the Lords is!

It certainly cant carry on in its current condition.

They look generally old and tired, and most wont have a clue what its like to live in the real world like most of us.

They are not effected by low wages, poor housing etc, etc

It needs a good shake up

They are an embarrassment I'm afraid.

Haven't you just summed up the House of Commons by mistake?

---------- Post added 10-05-2018 at 08:12 ----------

its funny, the only reason why this topic has come up now, and by the usual suspects is because of the danger the lords pose to the governments future plans with brexit

When the government of the day, whatever their colour, get their radical ideas thwarted by the House of Lords they always cry foul and want to abolish it. Yet, when they are in opposition the House of Lords is always the best thing since sliced bread

---------- Post added 10-05-2018 at 08:17 ----------

And what danger would that be? as all the government have to do is ignore them and reintroduce any bill. In the instance above they can overturn and reverse any amendments the Lords had voted on, and so far I believe that totals around 14.

But.. back on topic.. ;)

They should not be abolished but IMHO made up of elected regional members from each local area, that way they would better represent the people. It should also be done on a rotational basis where each member can only stand for a maximum of 3 terms. The last bit should also be the same for elected MP's and local government, that way we don't get stuck with the same old career politicians who are just in it for themselves or the glory. It would also give the young a better chance.

Personally I think 3 terms may be too many, that still leaves them there for 15 years. Make it 2 terms but allowed to stand again after a term away. And I agree that these limits should also be in place for the Commons.

Also both Houses should be elected by proportional representation

As it says, is it now time to get rid of the House of Lords. The Government of the day make the decisions, we elect them to do that. The other house is just a retirement home for redundant Politicians, and Prime Ministers favourites. They do not exist to thwart the will of the elected Government.

Angel1.

You mean like Robert Winston?

A Second Chamber is indeed important as a check on the first (HoC).

But I agree that the HoL needs reconstituting.

Remove from it all ex-MPs, for a start; and abolish political influence/Whipping there, too.

But it should retain its power of delay- this should even be reinstated for Money Bills [i.e. the Parliament Act 1911 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo5/1-2/13/contents should be repealed]- in exchange for removing the loopy 'ping-pong' arguments in disputed Bills' progress.

how will removing ex mps make it better when looking into political issues?

By removing a tendency to support their own and Party mates.

You mean like Robert Winston?

There are over 800 Parasites in the Lords, so there has to be the odd exception I suppose. (all on £300 a day for doing exactly what, mostly sleeping if you believe the cameras that are filming there.)

While fellow disabled posters and myself are been hounded by the Government intent on taking benefits off us. I'm so pleased we are in it all-together according to our Westminster Masters.

Angel1.

There are over 800 Parasites in the Lords, so there has to be the odd exception I suppose. (all on £300 a day for doing exactly what, mostly sleeping if you believe the cameras that are filming there.)

While fellow disabled posters and myself are been hounded by the Government intent on taking benefits off us. I'm so pleased we are in it all-together according to our Westminster Masters.

Angel1.

You hypocrital doughnut, the House of Lords saved your benefits.

You hypocrital doughnut, the House of Lords saved your benefits.

Not so I'm afraid. Just in the middle of hopefully transferring from DLA to the dreaded PIP. If the civil servant (who is not medically trained) looks at my report from my assessment (by a Nurse) and does not like what is written there, then my benefit goes, simple as. Doubtful the 800 parasites will be of any use to me. Many will be in the subsidised bars, more in the subsidised restaurants and many in the house asleep, while the ale and grub is nicely digested.

Angel1

Strange isn't it that the last time reform of the House of Lords was attempted that it was blocked by Conservative backbenchers like Jacob Rees-Mogg and David Davis.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/may/13/incontinent-fury-of-brexiters-who-rage-against-everything-british

hahahaha exactly what i said, they only now dont like the lords cos they want to block certain bits of brexit :hihi: