Should the House of Lords be Abolished.

As it says, is it now time to get rid of the House of Lords. The Government of the day make the decisions, we elect them to do that. The other house is just a retirement home for redundant Politicians, and Prime Ministers favourites. They do not exist to thwart the will of the elected Government.

Angel1.

As it says, is it now time to get rid of the House of Lords. The Government of the day make the decisions, we elect them to do that. The other house is just a retirement home for redundant Politicians, and Prime Ministers favourites. They do not exist to thwart the will of the elected Government.

Angel1.

No, they should not be abolished, perhaps they should be reformed in some way but there is always a need for checks and balances. Putting a speedbump in the way of dodgy legislation is their function and they do it well.

They cannot thwart the will of the elected Government

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament_Acts_1911_and_1949

Yes, IMHO the Commons should be reduced to 400 and the Lords replaced by a second elected chamber of say, 100.

Yes, IMHO the Commons should be reduced to 400 and the Lords replaced by a second elected chamber of say, 100.

The point of this will be why exactly? Why do we need two elected houses?

---------- Post added 09-05-2018 at 11:18 ----------

Angel1.

The uneducated come out in force with ill formed views and opinions. There are many in the House of Lords who are considerd experts in their respected fields which give well founded ideas and views that ultimately shape government policy such as academics and scientists.

For the same reason as the USA has the House of Representatives and the Senate, a second chamber is essential to ensure that the other does not exceed it’s level of authority.

I think the theory back in the day was that the Lord's would help balance power out between the Commons, aristocracy / monarchy and the Church.

Well, those days are gone and so should the House of Lords be.

And no replacement is needed IMO, elected or otherwise.

I think the theory back in the day was that the Lord's would help balance power out between the Commons, aristocracy / monarchy and the Church.

Well, those days are gone and so should the House of Lords be.

And no replacement is needed IMO, elected or otherwise.

so no EU, and no Lords.....who reels in the government when they try to go too far?

I agree, we need another bunch of self serving, overpaid bunch of Mps that slavishly follow their party to further their careers and/or a job with their corporate paymasters and/or after dinner speaking gig.

Oh and elections. We don't have nearly enough of those. I was just saying to my mate "i don't think I'm being lied to enough" - well more elections in this country would sort that right out.

Yes, another chamber of no-nowts whose main qualification is to be more popular than some one else and manage to smile on the stage in some leisure centre in the early hours of a Friday morning.

so no EU, and no Lords.....who reels in the government when they try to go too far?

The ballot box.

The ballot box.

oh yes that works well :roll:

oh yes that works well :roll:

How would you know?