Rules regarding bonfires in Sheffield gardens

Oh! how i miss this type of post, used to be quite common, but sadly it seems to have died out.

A great read.

lol, I love it!

After an enormous clearing of the garden, I want to light a bonfire.

What are the current council "rules" on this?

Just let your neighbours know so that they can take in the washing and close the windows!

I always thought that it had to be after 7pm, I wait till it is dusk and check if there is any washing out before lighting a fire. I don't know what you do if you have one of those neighbours that leaves washing out for several days though other than go and tell them you are going to be having a fire.

Genuine question..where do dioxins come from when burning garden waste eg dry grass and hedge//tree clippings etc?

Its just stuff the leaves have cleaned up from the wind over the years.

The discussion has been had every year.

There are no rules for garden fires - no start and finish time - no requirement to tell your neighbours(unless you want to).

It used to be on Sheffield council website.

I think it's better for the environment to burn it than have it in landfill. Both create dioxins, but with landfill you get methane too.

So long as neighbours don't breathe in the smoke from the fire.

The Sheffield Energy Recovery Facility (ERF) is a modern incinerator which is hopefully better than having a garden fire. The council will also generate electricity from it.

Its just stuff the leaves have cleaned up from the wind over the years.

Leaves are on the tree for less than a year in most cases....do you have a link anywhere I could read about this?

you can use anything from petrol to a portable flamethrower as an accelerant, but the council jobsworths frown upon using a tactical nuke in a built-up area

After an enormous clearing of the garden, I want to light a bonfire.

Here you go: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/sheffield/home/bins-recycling-services/garden-waste-composting.html

Within the above article there is also a link to smoke nuisance

I think it's better for the environment to burn it than have it in landfill. Both create dioxins, but with landfill you get methane too.

Isn't green waste composted?

Leaves are on the tree for less than a year in most cases....do you have a link anywhere I could read about this?

Most plants are also very lean in chlorine too which is rather essential for the nastier dioxins.

Most plants are also very lean in chlorine too which is rather essential for the nastier dioxins.

That's why I was puzzled by the reamark that they produce dioxins...