No DSS when renting.

14 hours ago, zach said:

Read what I put!

Some of us 

Not everyone who gets help with rent, or gets benefits would blow the cash instead of paying their dues. Most landlords just ban everyone who gets Gov help with the "No DSS" line. That is what I don't think is fair.  

Thats because its too much of a risk . Granted , most people pay their rent on time ,and dont spend their housing benefit on other things, but SOME do , so you can understand why landlords wont take the risk .

14 hours ago, francypants said:

How is a landlord supposed to tell who is going to be a good tenant and who isn't ?    Usually by the time they find out, it's too late.    

They aren't mind readers.    

( I'm not a landlord )

References from employer and previous landlord.  

56 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Thats because its too much of a risk . Granted , most people pay their rent on time ,and dont spend their housing benefit on other things, but SOME do , so you can understand why landlords wont take the risk .

Some private tenants do the same though, so it's an unknown level of risk with anyone and the only solution is to decide not to let to anyone, it's not worth the risk.

15 hours ago, Anna B said:

Isn't there a register of bad tenants? 

No, if anything thats probably more discriminatory than taking a No DSS attitude.

Can you imagine the furore if someone was placed on the register by mistake?  or even worse by Malice??

Not to mention those who decide to turn their life around, but end up sidelined and unable to get accommodation due to black marks against their name.

Edited by geared

6 minutes ago, geared said:

No, if anything thats probably more discriminatory than taking a No DSS attitude.

Can you imagine the furore if someone was placed on the register by mistake?  or even worse by Malice??

Not to mention those who decide to turn their life around, but end up sidelined and unable to get accommodation due to black marks against their name.

Ignoring the malice issue, it's a consequence of your actions, not discrimination if you are blacklisted due to something you genuinely did.

The credit score works in exactly the same way, it's not discrimination to judge people by their past behaviour.

True but at least the credit score is relatively straightforward and is something you can build back up with some effort.

How many tenants have got into issues with bad landlords, you can't have a system where crooked landlords have the power to blacklist someone, it's a total non-starter.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a one answer fits all.

I agree that landlords have the right to protect their investment. It's also true that just because you're in full time employment, doesn't mean you always pay your bills. I'm not sure on the credit score side of things, doesn't it go down if you don't work full time? It's something I've never looked at but the bank keeps renewing my credit card although I'm not working...I'm sure they kept a close eye when I was first made redundant.

I really can see the argument from both sides and I doubt anything will change any time soon.

16 hours ago, francypants said:

How is a landlord supposed to tell who is going to be a good tenant and who isn't ?    Usually by the time they find out, it's too late.    

They aren't mind readers.    

( I'm not a landlord )

Get references from previous landlords?1

Does this mean it's also discriminatory to refuse to let a property to someone in receipt of housing benefit if the rent is more than the benefit amount? After all, rental agencies require proof of income and will refuse to let a property if they don't think you can afford it.

19 hours ago, geared said:

True but at least the credit score is relatively straightforward and is something you can build back up with some effort.

How many tenants have got into issues with bad landlords, you can't have a system where crooked landlords have the power to blacklist someone, it's a total non-starter.

I suppose you could argue that the credit system is open to abuse as well, but as it's typically only used by larger companies there is less of a tendency for personalities to come into it.

19 hours ago, nightrider said:

Get references from previous landlords?1

You have to get those details from the tenant though right, so how can you be sure that you aren't writing to their mate asking for a reference?

Worth pointing out to people who need to rent a property, and are in receipt of benefits, and you're faced with 'No DSS':

IT IS ILLEGAL TO BAN RENTERS ON BENEFITS 

No DSS: Landmark court ruling declares housing benefit discrimination is unlawful | Shelter

Having worked in housing advice and Social Housing I don’t think benefit claimants are any more likely to accrue rent arrears than other tenants on low incomes. What's different in the private sector is higher rents exceeding HB maximum payments with benefit cuts making payment of any shortfall very difficult.  With many private landlords reliant on the rent to pay property mortgages or retirement income and the time and costs incurred in eviction proceedings. I understand the sentiment behind the ruling but fear many small time, sometimes the better providers, will leave the sector to impersonal corporate landlords