No DSS when renting.

Thankyou to the moderators for moving this back to general discussions.

As renting becomes more and more common, I think issues such as these will also increase. A lot of people might find themselves on benefits in the future, so I think ez8004 is right when they say legislation will have to change to make sure they are properly housed.

Also: there's no 'DSS' [Department of Social Security] nowadays and there hasn't been for some years.

Yes I know but that is what it says on the ads.

It's why they use it, because DSS doesn't exist it has been seen as a simple way to say "no housing benefit types".

Although a recent court case argued this is sexual discrimination??

---------- Post added 05-03-2018 at 11:54 ----------

A lot of people might find themselves on benefits in the future, so I think ez8004 is right when they say legislation will have to change to make sure they are properly housed.

The Torys faffing around with the benefit system is what has caused most of the issues.

Before it was simple, Landlord could apply to have HB paid direct to them from the council.

LL got paid on time, every time - Happy landlord, happy tenant.

Then the system changed, HB went to the tenant who was supposed to pay it on.

Bad tenants didn't pay, LL lost money and had to evict.

You only need one bad tenant for the landlord to refuse any and all future HB tenants, they'd then tell all their mates who in turn would refuse HB tenants to avoid the same fate.

A few bad eggs spoiled the entire thing and now everyone suffers, the system is worse now than it was before.

It is the few bad on benefits that give the many a bad name as with anything else. Didn't the Government alter the way that benefits were paid giving all benefit money to tenants for them to pay the rent instead of the DWP paying it straight to the landlords?

I saw the same report, although I don't think it sets precedent?

It changes nothing really, you won't force a private landlord to take a HB tenant if they are dead set against it.

They'll let the house sit empty until a private tenant comes along.

The government has ruined the HB system and the reputation of HB tenants.

It's why they use it, because DSS doesn't exist it has been seen as a simple way to say "no housing benefit types".

Although a recent court case argued this is sexual discrimination??

---------- Post added 05-03-2018 at 11:54 ----------

The Torys faffing around with the benefit system is what has caused most of the issues.

Before it was simple, Landlord could apply to have HB paid direct to them from the council.

LL got paid on time, every time - Happy landlord, happy tenant.

Then the system changed, HB went to the tenant who was supposed to pay it on.

Bad tenants didn't pay, LL lost money and had to evict.

You only need one bad tenant for the landlord to refuse any and all future HB tenants, they'd then tell all their mates who in turn would refuse HB tenants to avoid the same fate.

A few bad eggs spoiled the entire thing and now everyone suffers, the system is worse now than it was before.

I agree.

But life for people on HB has become extremely difficult in all sorts of ways thanks to this government, and it was never easy to start with.

And it's not just the unemployed that are affected. How can anyone on minimum wage, 0 hours contracts, gig economy etc. ever guarantee that they will have enough money to live on from one week to the next?

Delays, incompetence, sanctions, cuts to benefits etc. have all had a detrimental affect, that end up with an inability to pay rent etc. Much as I sympathise with Landlords, (and I do,) I don't think tenants deliberately want to cheat them, they are simply being put in a position of constantly having to rob Peter to pay Paul. It's the current system which is rotton to the core, and it's getting worse.

I don't think tenants deliberately want to cheat them, they are simply being put in a position of constantly having to rob Peter to pay Paul.

Yes especially when they are not deemed worthy enough to receive all the HB payment.

Finances will already be finely balanced, but suddenly they have to find another £50 or so a week?

Many can't, and rent-arrears just constantly build up.

I think in some cases the agencies have to state the blindingly obvious; 'no housing benefit' because they plainly wouldn't be able to afford the rent each month on benefits alone and it stops everyone involved wasting their time.

I think in some cases the agencies have to state the blindingly obvious; 'no housing benefit' because they plainly wouldn't be able to afford the rent each month on benefits alone and it stops everyone involved wasting their time.

Generally, the Housing benefit would cover the rent- if it was actually paid to the tenant without the disgusting delays and mistakes that are standard for benefits claims.

Generally, the Housing benefit would cover the rent- if it was actually paid to the tenant without the disgusting delays and mistakes that are standard for benefits claims.

Only if the rent equals the amount the prospective tenant gets in housing benefit. There is a limit as you well know. A one bedroom apartment in a fully serviced high rise in the town centre will be more expensive to rent than housing benefit would cover, so why shouldn't an agent save time and potential hassle by omitting people who shouldn't be able to afford to live there?

I was reading a article on BBC news recently about people who claim housing benefit. How it can be hard for them to find a flat/house to rent as often they will say no DSS in the advert. It said that single mothers struggle as some work part time and use HB to top up there income.

I have seen quit a few flats on Rightmove recently that state no DSS. I understand why people would not want to rent to someone claiming benefits but they're not all bad.

I can't believe that is even legal putting no welfare recipients in an ad, for a rental. They would get a big fine over here, that's if somebody was daft enough to publish it. Although we all know that you are not exactly a prime prospective tenant, on paper, if you are on public assistance, that's a fact of life.However, to put it in an ad is disgusting and says a lot about the landlord.

I can't believe that is even legal putting no welfare recipients in an ad, for a rental. They would get a big fine over here, that's if somebody was daft enough to publish it. Although we all know that you are not exactly a prime prospective tenant, on paper, if you are on public assistance, that's a fact of life.However, to put it in an ad is disgusting and says a lot about the landlord.

A lot of people's attitudes to the unemployed are pretty disgusting over here in the UK. It's been deliberately whipped up in the media to hate the unemployed. It depresses me a lot. They don't seem to realise, 'there but for the grace of God....'