Virgin Trains and the Daily Fail

Because they have lots of LGBT people, lots of immigrants and lots of pro-remain business people travelling on the line? Selling or giving away a right wing paper might not sit well with people? Maybe they just couldn’t give it away, or maybe it wasn’t selling.

Imagine if they had to buy hundreds of copies a day and few people wanted a copy. Do the maths - this could save Virgin tens of thousands a year.

As a pure business decision loads of ways it could happen. Of course the Mail makes it easier with its hardline stance.

Thats no reason to stop selling it. They will also have a lot of right wing people travelling on the line, but they havnt stopped selling left wing rubbish like the Guardian .

Thats no reason to stop selling it. They will also have a lot of right wing people travelling on the line, but they havnt stopped selling left wing rubbish like the Guardian .

I suggest you email Virgin trains matey.

Edited by I1L2T3

It’s seems a bit strange for sure.

I’ve never really understood what the Virgin brand is about.

Virgin Care sued the NHS after losing a contact. There is a campaign to boycott the whole Virgin brand.

Virgin Trains should concentrate on providing a good train service rather than having a political dig at a newspaper.

I dislike the smug beardy git as much as the next sane human being, but Virgin Trains can do two things at once, like manage a train service and run its own PR.

This sort of puffery costs nothing. A few drafts of the story for press, pro- and anti-, and then a mailmerge to 100 or so news editors with a fat folder of big, tasty images attached. One person can do it in a morning.

Virgin Care sued the NHS after losing a contact. There is a campaign to boycott the whole Virgin brand.

I heard about that. I do share your cynicism about Virgin’s motives.

Virgin Trains have decided to stop selling the Daily Fail on their west coast route

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/virgin-trains-daily-mail-ban-sell-newspapers-beliefs-compatible-richard-branson-a8149786.html

Naturally the fail doesnt like this and accuses them of censorship. But is it really? Its just the one route, they are not banning people from having them and so surely its a simple business decision?

Virgin Trains only operates the Inter City West Coast franchise.

I thought they also ran the East Coast franchise (for now), along with Stagecoach, and were stopping sales of DM on that route as well.

Must admit, I have never bought any paper on train always bought one at either at station or on way from shop.

I thought they also ran the East Coast franchise (for now), along with Stagecoach, and were stopping sales of DM on that route as well.

Must admit, I have never bought any paper on train always bought one at either at station or on way from shop.

Virgin Trains East Coast is operated by Stagecoach (90% owned) and Virgin Group (10%). This is a just to get the "brand name". There is no link with:

The Virgin Trains West Coast which is operated by Virgin Rail Group which is an operating company owned by Virgin Group (51%) and Stagecoach (49%).

Virgin Rail Group used to have the East Coast main line franchise.

Virgin Trains East Coast is operated by Stagecoach (90% owned) and Virgin Group (10%). This is a just to get the "brand name". There is no link with:

The Virgin Trains West Coast which is operated by Virgin Rail Group which is an operating company owned by Virgin Group (51%) and Stagecoach (49%).

Virgin Rail Group used to have the East Coast main line franchise.

Right, many thanks for update and clarification :thumbsup:

You mean people actually buy (as in pay good money) for the Mail?

Unbelievable!

Mail on sale again says the BBC.

Yes. Maybe it was all just a publicity stunt (How unlike Sir Richard is that)?

A letter to The Times had it right. The writer opined that the Daily Mail does not share Virgin Trains' outlook, as it always arrives on time!

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw
Typo corrected