Does having no MOT invalidate insurance?

This argument /discussion cropped up the other night when someone said if you drove an untested car your insurance was null and void.Checking on line did not provide the perfect answer,many sites said it MAY invalidate insurance,this is not conclusive enough for me.The law states that a vehicle must be kept in a roadworthy condition,failure to do this will invalidate insurance.However the DVLA state that an MOT certificate is only valid at the time and point of issue and proves the vehicle met the required standards at that time and at no time should it be relied on as stating a vehicle is in good condition.This of course means an untested vehicle can be in a better condition than one with a long test.SORN does not have to be declared if a vehicle has no test as long as it is taxed and insured.If you are caught driving a vehicle without an mot you may get a fine but it does not carry any penalty points,in many cases a friendly copper will let you go and just tell you to get it done.Also I would have thought that if insurance became invalid when driving without an mot you would automatically be charged and prosecuted for driving without insurance at the same time,but I have never heard of this happening.The whole mess is yet another grey area created by governments who don't think things out before implementing them.

I think you have answered your own question. Legal wise, if stopped by police you could be issued with a fixed penalty notice of £100.00 but so long as you have a licence and insurance to drive that class of vehicle then there will be no further offences.

However if you have an accident and have no mot in place for that vehicle you can bet that the insurance company will look for any excuse not to pay out and no mot will suffice.

I broke my arm, and had a pot put on. I went to the hospital for a check up, and drove my car there. the doctor noticed me holding the car keys, he asked me if I"d come in the car, I said yes, he said you do realise that your not insured to drive with a pot on. oops.

It's not a grey area but it is not a yes or no answer.

It depends on the insurance company and what is in your insurance policies terms and conditions.

All policies will say the vehicle has to be in a road worthy condition some will state they also need a current MOT and even tax too.

So yes it MAY invalidate your insurance but it MAY NOT.

Insurance companies and the police know that in reality a valid MOT means absolutely nothing about the vehicles road worthiness.

If the police wanted to they could charge anyone for having invalid insurance for having a headlight, brake light, number plate light, bald tyre etc etc because that vehicle is not in a road worthy condition and almost defiantly violates your insurance companies cover conditions.

Its pretty much what they do to the boy racers who do not declare modifications to the insurer.

Edited by damageandy

This argument /discussion cropped up the other night when someone said if you drove an untested car your insurance was null and void.Checking on line did not provide the perfect answer,many sites said it MAY invalidate insurance,this is not conclusive enough for me.The law states that a vehicle must be kept in a roadworthy condition,failure to do this will invalidate insurance.However the DVLA state that an MOT certificate is only valid at the time and point of issue and proves the vehicle met the required standards at that time and at no time should it be relied on as stating a vehicle is in good condition.This of course means an untested vehicle can be in a better condition than one with a long test.SORN does not have to be declared if a vehicle has no test as long as it is taxed and insured.If you are caught driving a vehicle without an mot you may get a fine but it does not carry any penalty points,in many cases a friendly copper will let you go and just tell you to get it done.Also I would have thought that if insurance became invalid when driving without an mot you would automatically be charged and prosecuted for driving without insurance at the same time,but I have never heard of this happening.The whole mess is yet another grey area created by governments who don't think things out before implementing them.

In order to re-tax a car it must have a current mot (assuming one is required of course) and be insured.

Good luck getting you're insurance company to pay out if you're car isn't tested. They would cover any third party though.

Exactly that.

They're duty bound to pay any third party under the terms of the Road Traffic Act (even if your car is stolen and hits someone - it's still your policy that pays).

They can and will consider failure to maintain the vehicle and/or disclose lack of MOT as a 'material fact' and refuse to pay you on that basis.

What if you dont have any MOT, its on private land and someone breaks into it/damages it?

They would likely pay you the value of a car with no MOT, which wouldn't be a lot.

If your MOT runs out during the course of your policy though, I'd argue that was a disclosable material fact, and they could void the policy on that basis (or rather refuse to deal with any part of your claim)