Does motorway driving define where you are in society?

A top of the range vauxhaul.cavalier, A reg too, bought on the very day A reg cars came out

While one of our neighbours had an Allegro

Never was a more stupid thing done than buying a brand new car, you lose thousands of pounds the moment you drive off the forecourt. I am the winner because I can have a nice 10 yr old car costing about 1k and then can spend the other 10k or more on something fun

Had to laugh one day at school back in the 80s, one lads dad bought a 12 month old ford cortina, which was in mint condition

The following week someone elses dad bought a brand new off the production line ford granada

thar made the ford cortina dad looked a bit of a loser

If anything, I would think the Granada dad a loser. Makes much more sense to buy a 12 month old car, than a new one that will instantly drop in value as you drive it off the forecourt. Also, is Granada dad playing a game of oneupmanship? If so, his motivation for the purchase is wrong and he maybe a bit insecure in himself (too bothered about what others think of him)-

I know someone who drives a ten year old one litre engine car that sometimes misfires with ripped seats and carpets.

When he goes to the airport he always uses meet and greet parking, he says it always looks like a monty python scene when he either hands in the car or collects it.

He doesn't care what they think, driving a BMW is not mandatory when you use the more expensive parking that is usually not used by England's lower classes.

Edited by dutch

I drive a car. I am the holder of a UK driving license, my car has been tested, I have paid the required vehicle tax, and I carry the necessary insurance.

I am subject to the conditions presented in the Highway Code. This is a unique set of laws. I have not personally signed any agreement to refrain from burglary, violence or any other laws of the land, but I have formally and personally agreed with my signature to observe the Highway Code.

And so, when driving on a motorway (and on any other highway) I drive as the Highway Code instructs. I keep to the left except when overtaking, I observe the speed limit, and I do not tailgate other motorists.

Furthermore, I have a right to expect every other motorist to conduct themselves in the same manner. I have the right to assume that every other motorist shall observe the Highway Code.

There are no slow or fast lanes, there is the inside lane and overtaking lanes. Once having overtaken move back to the inside lane.

I am sick to death of driving on a near empty motorway and having to move from the inside lane (lane 1) into lane 4 to overtake a Merc driver in lane 3 who hasn't a clue how to drive on a motorway - winners, don't make me laugh, a word with two different letters more like :loopy:

<Applause>

Never was a more stupid thing done than buying a brand new car, you lose thousands of pounds the moment you drive off the forecourt. I am the winner because I can have a nice 10 yr old car costing about 1k and then can spend the other 10k or more on something fun

Why begrudge someone who has the ability to own a brand new car? The original poster is obviously silly and I believe he/she is just a wind up, but at the same time people saying I prefer my <removed> car etc. I don't actually believe that; if they were able to have a really nice new car then I'm pretty sure they would.

Edited by nikki-red
Masked swearing