White Male privilege

the whole point of the thread is about the centuries of white males having the cake. its still nowhere even near halfway to even, hence the tories report

And here we get to the heart of this thread.

Identity politics.

Inarticulately expressed, true. Simplistic and appealing to the very basest of instincts, yes. But identity favouritism all the same. The thing about identity politics is that there is, and can be, no understanding or acceptance of diversity within various types of identity groups. Thus in the mind of the OP a white, uneducated, unemployed man living off subsistence benefits in an economically deprived area has more power and social opportunity than a wealthy Oxbridge educated black woman - such as Diane Abbott.

"Centuries of white males having all the cake" - melthebell.

The OP believes that every person in a minority group (women and ethnic) is irretrievably economically and socially oppressed. While every member of the majority group (white males) lead priviledged lives directly attributable to their oppression of women and ethnic minorities. And even if a white male isn't oppressing somebody right now, his ancestors probably did centuries ago and so he must be held accountable today (according to the warped logic of the OP).

The OP is flawed in using identity politics (he may even be unaware that this is what it is) to examine social injustice because people are never seen as individuals, only as part of an identity grouping, through this doctrine. Class and other socio-economic factors are ignored in favour of dividing communities by race and gender.

Perhaps this is the intent of the OP?

Edited by Car Boot

i was taking the **** when you mentioned all the various colours

I thought that was so obviously tongue in cheek! Heres an advert for jobs with the BTP, seeing that people are so hung up on them discriminating. In the couple of job descriptions I've read, nowhere can I find anything that says don't apply if you're a white British male. If anyone can, I stand corrected.

https://btp.tal.net/vx/lang-en-GB/mobile-0/channel-1/appcentre-External/brand-3/xf-5d2bf2d8208b/candidate/jobboard/vacancy/1/adv/

We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applications from everyone. Language skills can be especially valuable to community engagement and candidates who can speak additional languages such as Hindi, Arabic, Farsi, Bengali, Urdu, Amharic, Pushtu, Punjabi, Tamil and Somali are encouraged to apply. All applications will be judged on their individual merit.

The last line is probably the most important. However we are a diverse country, more so in some parts than others. Its helpful to have people in front line services who speak different languages, and who are familiar with the community they come from.

Heres an advert for jobs with the BTP, seeing that people are so hung up on them discriminating. In the couple of job descriptions I've read, nowhere can I find anything that says don't apply if you're a white British male. If anyone can, I stand corrected.

There appears to be some confusion.

The British Transport Police (BTP) have not informed white males that they can't apply for a job. The BTP have set up a number of Interview Preparation days for potential recruits (to help people with their application forms and assessment day) by staging mock tests and offering question coaching.

It is these recruitment workshops, which aim to give an advantage to participants, that white males are excluded from attending.

Guest makapaka

I think this is another example of people taking each argument to the extreme.Statistically white males do better in life.

Not all white males are doing well in life.

Positive discrimination (or any kind of priority for certain applicants) is a bit of a kick in the teeth if you’re an unemployed white male.

It’s absolutely right that as a society we should try and assist certain underrepresented groups of people to have opportunities.

People should also not be so scathing of white males who are also struggling to get those opportunities.

Telling an unemployed (or low earning) white male that he is privileged is not going to get a good response is it?

And such a person expressing displeasure about that is not necessarily a racist or a opponent of equal opportunities.

There appears to be some confusion.

The British Transport Police (BTP) have not informed white males that they can't apply for a job. The BTP have set up a number of Interview Preparation days for potential recruits (to help people with their application forms and assessment day) by staging mock tests and offering question coaching.

It is these recruitment workshops, which aim to give an advantage to participants, that white males are excluded from attending.

Encourage. Hey Car Boot, what do you think of the 'Taking a knee' protests in the US?

The OP believes that every person in a minority group (women and ethnic) is irretrievably economically and socially oppressed. While every member of the majority group (white males) lead priviledged lives directly attributable to their oppression of women and ethnic minorities. And even if a white male isn't oppressing somebody right now, his ancestors probably did centuries ago and so he must be held accountable today (according to the warped logic of the OP).

Does he? Have you read his mind, because he hasn't said that or anything remotely implying that.

The OP is flawed in using identity politics (he may even be unaware that this is what it is) to examine social injustice because people are never seen as individuals, only as part of an identity grouping, through this doctrine. Class and other socio-economic factors are ignored in favour of dividing communities by race and gender.

Perhaps this is the intent of the OP?

Large scale effects can ONLY be examined by looking at populations, not individuals.

When NICE makes decisions about drugs, it's based on group outcomes, not individual ones.

When government policies on any one of the many things that affect our lives are set, they're set based on how groups behave, react, exist, not individuals.

It's impossible to consider individuals when talking about or setting policies that affect 10's of thousands or even millions of people.

---------- Post added 13-10-2017 at 07:29 ----------

We as in blacks and whites or asians or chinese or whatever. Are we different genetically hence therefore can make certain assumptions?

Have you googled this to answer it for yourself yet?

I bet you didn't like the answer if you have.

Have you googled this to answer it for yourself yet?

I bet you didn't like the answer if you have.

I bet he didn't.

I bet he didn't.

I dont need to google anything you fools. Just because its un politically correct to make an observation doesnt mean its not true.

Ok i've got a choice between a black guy and a chinese guy. I need 1 to run to the shop for me before it closes, and the other to help me with my partial differentiation and fourier series maths homework. Who shall I pick for each job?

You're off your rocker cover if you cant see through OBSERVATION and the world around us we are all different. Just an excuse to politicise everything. Ofcourse any scientist that dared to say we are different would just get strung up anyway so why would they?

Thus in the mind of the OP a white, uneducated, unemployed man living off subsistence benefits in an economically deprived area has more power and social opportunity than a wealthy Oxbridge educated black woman - such as Diane Abbott.

From the OP-

a lot of it comes down to being of a poorer background, hence why white pupils on free school meals suffer at Key stage 2 level.

erm are these workshops that sort of thing? telling black men and women that they arent aliens, they arent out to get them, they will serve their communities, and they DO have an opportunity to join if they so wish?

No. These workshops are for British Transport Police applicants who have made it through the first stages of the recruitment process.

The workshop includes expert coaching through the competency based questions, assessment centre preparation, and question and answer sessions. Applicants will also meet police officers and take part in practice sessions to complete the ability tests.

These workshops are designed to give an advantage to those who are the eligible criteria to attend. Those who are excluded, because they have the wrong skin colour and sex, have an unfair disadvantage.

Have you ever heard of the words 'equal opportunity'?

Well that's the opposite of what is happening here.

---------- Post added 13-10-2017 at 09:33 ----------

LOL, its got absolutely bugger all to do with excluding people, its to do with attracting under representative groups.

So you believe that white males CAN attend these recruitment workshops?

But the BTP eligibility criteria specifically states that the courses are only open to women and Black/Minority Ethnic groups.

If the people being excluded were not white males, would you then think that, just perhaps, this has got something to do with excluding people?

Edited by Car Boot

Lol Mr car door you're so trapped in your blind hysteria you can't see the wood for the trees

Lol Mr car door you're so trapped in your blind hysteria you can't see the wood for the trees

TBH he's the only one who's written half sense on here. This id politics that's crossed the pond in recent years and taken up by white liberal middle class twypes is irrelevant in the real world..

You've ignored the class aspect all way through.. says it all ..