Ring road and parkway - whats going on? 08/07/2017

Thats a nasty one :(

How do you end up on the wrong side of the road there though?

I was wondering the same. There is a central reservation barrier .

Think theres 2 gaps in the barriers around there?

Guessing they came down one of the exit slip roads (markets or Prince of Wales)?

I was wondering the same. There is a central reservation barrier .

Was near Parkway Markets slip roads apparently but don't know which carriageway, into or out of town. So, maybe took wrong slip road from roundabout at Parkway Avenue / Parkway Drive. Difficult to imagine how but I put forward as a theory.

Commiserations to family of person who tragically died and best wishes to all the injured for speedy recovery.

You beat me to it 'Longcol'

Think theres 2 gaps in the barriers around there?

There are some barrier gaps, but they are coned off.

Unless they went crashing through the cones?

Guessing they came down one of the exit slip roads (markets or Prince of Wales)?

Thats why I'd thought, but those junctions are pretty well designed to stop people going down by mistake, you'd have to make a concerted effort to enter the wrong slip road around there.

Prince of Wales junction even has two large no entrance signs on the (exit) slip road.

Was near Parkway Markets slip roads apparently but don't know which carriageway, into or out of town.

Police statement said it was on the carriageway going out of Sheffield.

Wrong way out of Matalan?

I had a car coming at me on a slip road off the stocksbridge bypass and i luckily stopped in time but the elderly lady just carried on and just shouted at me.For whatever reasons drivers do find themselves on the wrong carriageway on rare occasions,unfortunately it sometimes ends in tragedy.I wouldnt want to speculate but it is common for sufferers of early dementia to find themselves in that situation.Condolences to the family and best wishes to the injured.

---------- Post added 10-07-2017 at 19:52 ----------

I had a car coming at me on a slip road off the stocksbridge bypass and i luckily stopped in time but the elderly lady just carried on and just shouted at me.For whatever reasons drivers do find themselves on the wrong carriageway on rare occasions,unfortunately it sometimes ends in tragedy.I wouldnt want to speculate but it is common for sufferers of early dementia to find themselves in that situation.Condolences to the family and best wishes to the injured.

A report on the BBC has confirmed that the car was driving on the wrong carriageway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-leeds-40532720?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=59637e81e4b0f832d106b180%26One%20dead%20after%20Sheffield%20Parkway%20crash%26&ns_fee=0#post_59637e81e4b0f832d106b180

Wrong way out of Matalan?

Wrong side of the road for that, happened on the opposite carriageway.

Still possible I guess, and Gala Bingo is right there but he'd have to plough through a set of cones to get to the other side.

---------- Post added 11-07-2017 at 10:32 ----------

Although looking at this picture on the BBC news it looks like it happened on the side of the road going into town, which is contrary to what the police statement said yesterday.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/480/cpsprodpb/vivo/live/images/2017/7/10/3248d07c-289e-47f0-925e-e4d0ea8c0399.jpg

So maybe they did come out the wrong exit for Matalan?

llllllllllllllllllll

Edited by jackanne
incorrect information given

Still possible I guess, and Gala Bingo is right there but he'd have to plough through a set of cones to get to the other side.

Although looking at this picture on the BBC news it looks like it happened on the side of the road going into town, which is contrary to what the police statement said yesterday.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/480/cpsprodpb/vivo/live/images/2017/7/10/3248d07c-289e-47f0-925e-e4d0ea8c0399.jpg

It was the only one I could think of where taking the wrong way up the sliproad seemed feasible.

that looks like opposite side to matalan(out ov town)slip road to matalan is on the right hand ov the picture