Anyone here from Attercliffe?

Does anyone remember anyone from the Petch family who lived in Attercliffe? There was Archie and Ada and they had a large family, seven children I believe.

Hello Everyone

I'm researching Attercliffe for a uni project and am interested in where people moved to after they left Attercliffe in the 60s/70s/80s, I'm also interested in why people left - were you forced to move by the council or was it your choice?

I have found reading all your posts really interesting as its clear that people have very fond memories of the place as it was.

If you could tell me where you moved to, that would be fantastic,

Thanks!

my parents moved to skye edge-it was newly built and very nice--didnt take long for it to go downhill

does anyone remember sledging on the (brick field) near the canal--and sometimes it became a fairground--the spare land before you got to the staniforth arms--it was also a short cut to shirland lane from staniforth road,

does anyone remember sledging on the (brick field) near the canal--and sometimes it became a fairground--the spare land before you got to the staniforth arms--it was also a short cut to shirland lane from staniforth road,

Yes Pam I remember that. Used to spend a lot of time around the brick field. Remember having lots of fun when they demolished all the pig sties on there - or rather we demolished them for free. My best buddy's family owned the beeroff on the corner of Chippingham St and Shirland Lane. I used to live on Beall St.

my older sister lived on brittnall street-not far from you when she was first married--it was scary crossing over the brick field in the dark, when i visited her.

I didn't live in Attercliffe but I used to work at the Naval Ordnance on Janson Street (from 1964-69). There was a really good sandwich shop on the main road (Wisemans?) and a little park next to the school where we used to take our lunch. Often used to go to Banners, and wasn't there a Littlewoods nearby too? Sometimes went to a chinese restaurant round the corner on Staniforth Road.

I was born across the road at no.26.My dad worked there all throughout the war.He was a shop convener and also a works fireman.

I remember he used to come over in the middle of the night to warn us about impending air raids and my poor old mum had to get all her 5 kids out of bed and into the Anderson shelter.Those were the days!!!

Banners' shop was wonderful, with its huge wooden escalators.

I believe that banners had the honour of being the first store in the UK to have escalators installed, even before the "big-name ", famous stores in London. I remember the Banners Cheques, too!

It was a "tradition", for my mother and me to call into Banners on our way along Attercliffe Common, on our way to visit my Grandpa. He lived on the road that ran beside carbrook school.

I was definitely under the age of seven because my grandpa passed away when I was seven.

I remember being a very small child, (two, perhaps three) and the council had been "blitzing " a lot of buildings, sandblasting them after the clean air Act had been passed.

We went down the 'cliffe to visit my grandpa's and as we passed by Carbrook School, it was being sandblasted. I got some grit in my eye and made a fuss. (well, it hurt! and i was only a tot! lol )

PT

Are you aware that there was two Carbrook Schools, Carbrook County Junior School and Carbrook Church of England school.

Carbrook County was adjacent to Terry Street which led to the ' reck ' were we played football.

The headmistress was Mrs Carr, and a couple of teachers were Mrs Renshaw and Mrs Featherstone. This was some of the teachers in the 1953 period.

I know I'm not going daft either.

Carbrook rec was never on Bright Street. Ever since there was a Carbrook rec, it was always at the top of Terry Street, on the far side of Carbrook school, about a hundred yards from my Grandpa's house. It was Carbrook Rec when my mum, her brother and her sisters played on it, in the 1940s and 50s, and it was Carbrook Rec when me, my sister and my cousin played on it in the 1960s and 70s.

The council turned it into "Don Valley Bowl" when they did the arena etc.

Yes that is where it was.there used to be a marble drinking fountain in the middle.

They kept a barrage balloon on there.In fact I seem to think there were some kind of barracks o there as well.

Yes that is where it was.there used to be a marble drinking fountain in the middle.

They kept a barrage balloon on there.In fact I seem to think there were some kind of barracks o there as well.

Only two buildings I can remember are the clinic type building what used to give the pint bottles of orange out, and at the very top of the ' reck' over the wall a Co-op building.

I played a couple of games of bowls on the reck and had a knock about on the tennis courts. I think I am correct in saying Roger Taylor the tennis ace practiced there. I think his parents had a shop nearby at the top of Johnson Street.

Only two buildings I can remember are the clinic type building what used to give the pint bottles of orange out, and at the very top of the ' reck' over the wall a Co-op building.

There has never been any nicer orange juice either since, in my opinion, if it's the "Welfare Orange" (as my mother called it) that you refer to.

There has never been any nicer orange juice either since, in my opinion, if it's the "Welfare Orange" (as my mother called it) that you refer to.

It was refered to as 'welfare orange' and was dddddelicious.

I just loved Welfare Orange I got it when I was having my first baby 40 years ago it was 12pence a bottle (one half crown} worth every penny. Wish we could get it now................