Anyone here from Attercliffe?

brooksy

I didn't live in Attercliffe but spent a lot of time round about there as my gran and grandad lived on Kettlebridge Road so we made friends with lots of kids round the Ouse Road/Ouseburn Rd/Allerton Road/Thames Road areas in particular I had a friend on Ribston Road and we are still best friends!

Does anyone remember a guy riding around atterclffe on a push bike wearing a suit,russian hat and a dicky bow.As a kid i remember seeing him on staniforth rd and all the kids calling him divvy smith.Ithink he lived up near broadoaks on a passage way kind of place .A mate of mine Neil Pickering lived near him.Anyhow , im pretty certain i saw him on woodbourn rd today and he looked exactly the same.:confused:

hi joanl number on it is 0-9534267-5-0 its by michael liversidge and published by pickard press ,also a really good book i kept saying oh flipping ek -i remember that and so on

linda2

Thanks for that, I shall be in the shop tomorrow.

Joan

Hiya brooksy - yes the smiths lived near me (think cottingham street, opposite woodbourne school) They were brothers - if I remember correctly there was 4 of them (and a sister who moved out, wonder why?!) Ronnie (the one you mean) Michael, Barry (who use to sell eggs from a barrow) and Alan (who was at school with my brother, who's a fair bit older than me and he told me that Alan used to go to school in a shoe and a wellie) It looks like they were always a bit odd, even as kids! I remember Neil Pickering as well, I was at school with his younger brother Gary.

Does anyone remember a guy riding around atterclffe on a push bike wearing a suit,russian hat and a dicky bow.As a kid i remember seeing him on staniforth rd and all the kids calling him divvy smith.Ithink he lived up near broadoaks on a passage way kind of place .A mate of mine Neil Pickering lived near him.Anyhow , im pretty certain i saw him on woodbourn rd today and he looked exactly the same.:confused:

Ronnie used to fake being ill quite a bit as well. He would lay down in the middle of the road and pretend to be out cold and when an ambulance arrived he would get up and walk into it! I can remember he also like to dress up in bandages (like a mummy!) or in a jazzy waistcoat and beetle crushers reckoning to play a guitar walking up and down attercliffe singing Elvis Presley songs. He also used to wear make-up (eyeliner and blusher!) God, I could go on all night about them! The whole family also had the nickname 'Piggies' (don't know why though). Oh, and you would have seen him on Woodbourn road - They went to live at Darnall after the houses came down.

i was born in attercliffe, (1970) lived just off staniforth road on palmer street (near where alltools is), then moved into grandads house on ilkley road on firth park so mum could look after him in his dying days, then moved back to attercliffe about 1972, lived on Frances street (which i think is where telewest is now) went to hunstmans gardens school, then moved to hillsborough when i was 4 and a half

• 2 weeks later...
hi joanl number on it is 0-9534267-5-0 its by michael liversidge and published by pickard press ,also a really good book i kept saying oh flipping ek -i remember that and so on

linda2

The book is ordered and am just awating the call to say it's ready for collection....can't wait...thanks for your help..:thumbsup:

Archived