Is anyone proud to be British these days?

just a pity we're not proud you're english :roll:

;)

not sure what type of pop that is? as I'm also proud to be English, you opened it up so tell me what you meant.

I'm firmly in the 'being proud of an accident is utterly ridiculous' camp.

I'm glad I live here though.

---------- Post added 20-06-2017 at 06:17 ----------

Im proud to be English .

How can you be proud of something that's pure chance?

I think the word you're looking for is lucky.

Edited by Halibut

Patriotism is not small-mindedness in my opinion. Just today we had a minutes silence for the victims and relatives of the Grenfell Tower tragedy. I was proud to take part in that as were my friends, family and colleagues. I like people who have compassion and respect for other people. I think that is a part of being British.

I can't help but think that a statement like this is small minded. It implies that people who are not British have no compassion and respect for other people. I too used that minutes silence to reflect on the tragic events but at no time did I feel any need to mistakenly believe that that would not happen anywhere else in the world.

---------- Post added 20-06-2017 at 07:52 ----------

I agree to some extent with your basic concept - apart from this bold, that I completely disagree with.

To not form groups is not being human, most people just don't see it though because it engrained in almost everything in daily life.

If anything, globalisation is the worst case scenario - yet most likely scenario - where no one has any close personal links to anyone, but thousands or millions of links to no one personal. It's part of my explanation to why so called terrorism is happening. The more people alive on earth with instant info, the more alone people are becoming.

If you look around the world, whether rich country or poor country, you will find patriotism - and I'd guess probably from the majority of people.

-

People on the whole form groups based on where they are born and what they are influenced with from young age. Which explains patriotism, religion, politics to some extent, and why of course people in Sheffield support Wednesday :D

Of course people form groups and have a sense of civic pride but the whole notion of patriotism with the blind faith and jingoism which so often accompanies it is ridiculous.

I suppose the acid test would be, given the choice and before any allegiance had formed, which country would you choose to live in?

I suppose the acid test would be, given the choice and before any allegiance had formed, which country would you choose to live in?

Not really. That's not pride.

I'm not sure why anyone is proud to be from a certain country. I'm not sure how you can feel pride for being born somewhere.

I just don't get it.

Not really. That's not pride.

I'm not sure why anyone is proud to be from a certain country. I'm not sure how you can feel pride for being born somewhere.

I just don't get it.

Nor do I really. I'm proud of some of the things we do and less so of how we behave at times but I don't think I've ever hated being English.

Nor do I really. I'm proud of some of the things we do and less so of how we behave at times but I don't think I've ever hated being English.

I don't hate it but don't feel pride in other people's achievements either unless I know them.

I'm firmly in the 'being proud of an accident is utterly ridiculous' camp.

I'm glad I live here though.

---------- Post added 20-06-2017 at 06:17 ----------

How can you be proud of something that's pure chance?

I think the word you're looking for is lucky.

I agree. I'm glad I spent the first twenty odd years of my life in Scotland, and I'm enjoying being in Sheffield. I feel lucky to live in a fairly safe, moderately wealthy country.

I'm proud of my children and their achievements, I'm proud I stopped smoking. I can only be proud of something where I may have had some influence. I'm a British citizen, and I always thought I was ethnically Scottish til I was given a DNA test as a gift. Turns out my genetic roots are 47% British, 27% Irish, and the rest European and Scandinavian. I think we should all find out, it might remove some unfounded prejudices. ��

I agree. I'm glad I spent the first twenty odd years of my life in Scotland, and I'm enjoying being in Sheffield. I feel lucky to live in a fairly safe, moderately wealthy country.

I'm proud of my children and their achievements, I'm proud I stopped smoking. I can only be proud of something where I may have had some influence. I'm a British citizen, and I always thought I was ethnically Scottish til I was given a DNA test as a gift. Turns out my genetic roots are 47% British, 27% Irish, and the rest European and Scandinavian. I think we should all find out, it might remove some unfounded prejudices. ��

I've seen these advertised, and not sure whether worth it or not. Is this all the info you get from them?

(not sure whether worth waiting a few years until a larger database of people might give more accuracy)

It is human nature to be bias and prejudiced, people are tribal, always have been and we naturally align ourselves to groups, family, friends, colleagues, village, town, city, county, region, neighbourhood, football team, religion, ethnicity, sexuality, politics etc etc. There is no such thing as unfounded prejudices just prejudices, but some are more opposed and divisive than others and they will always be that way IMHO, regardless of whatever la la land utopia some think it can be. Rightly or wrongly people can be proud of what they want to be like everything else it's just opinion ..... something else we are biased and prejudiced about :D

I'm proud to be British. I've traveled a lot and enjoyed the people & cultures in the countries visited. But I love to get back home to this country.