Road Changes on Brook Hill/Western Bank Will Increase Congestion?

Or, i had to drive across Sheffield last evening (Thursday), leaving from the station at about 5.20.

It took 25mins to drive up to Crosspool, including Brookhill Roundabout - which took a little over 5 minutes to queue through/round.

i don't think that's too bad at all really, and they haven't finished yet - it's still a construction area.

Or, i had to drive across Sheffield last evening (Thursday), leaving from the station at about 5.20.

It took 25mins to drive up to Crosspool, including Brookhill Roundabout - which took a little over 5 minutes to queue through/round.

i don't think that's too bad at all really, and they haven't finished yet - it's still a construction area.

You don't think that's bad? I do.

25 minutes for 3.5 miles (according to google maps, search 'Sheffield station to Crosspool')? 8 miles an hour average, including, after Broomhill, largely residential areas where you should be averaging 20mph.

It's not that it's 'not bad' for Sheffield, it's just that we've now been forced to accept the snail's pace that traffic in this city moves at. It's certainly bad, but it's become accepted.

Interestingly, you could of course have run 3.5miles in 25minutes.

I chose to drive across a city, at the peak of rush hour. An average of 8mph really isn't bad.

(the route i took, the journey was 3.7miles, so more like 9mph)

A rush-hour average of 9mph is about average for a city. Singling Sheffield out for special criticism is very odd.

I chose to drive across a city, at the peak of rush hour. An average of 8mph really isn't bad.

(the route i took, the journey was 3.7miles, so more like 9mph)

A rush-hour average of 9mph is about average for a city. Singling Sheffield out for special criticism is very odd.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/londons-worst-commutes-hellish-roads-9871275

Average speed in Westminster is over 11mph, so we're worse than one of the more congested parts of the capital city.

Nothing odd about it - our road network can't cope.

If you did that same journey Mon-Fri, I bet 25 mins would be amongst the quickest of the 5.

3 things;

1. I don't travel in this area very much except by tram so am not an expert and have no particular axe to grind.

2. Daughter dropped me off 1/2 way up Hanover St (before the lights) at 7:45pm last Friday night and I had walked to Glossop Road before she got there.

3. I heard at a progress mtg for a construction project around the Childrens Hospital recently, from 1 of the representatives of the Uni, "we run this city, so what we say goes".

If you aren't part of the solution then you are part of the problem

As a cyclist I am sick of the moronic and selfish actions of people driving cars

And you know what, when you are in the rush hour traffic you only ever see one adult in the one car?

One occupant per car, that sirs is your problem

Last but not least check your flipping inside mirrors when doing a left turn, cyclists are getting knocked off their bikes

If you did that same journey Mon-Fri, I bet 25 mins would be amongst the quickest of the 5.

it's a journey i/we drive once or twice a week, depending upon which days my wife is working in Leeds (i pick her up from the station).

if anything, last night was a *bit* slower than usual, with queues of cars in odd places, but still, only 25mins to get home seems reasonable to me.

---------- Post added 14-10-2016 at 13:14 ----------

... from 1 of the representatives of the Uni, "we run this city, so what we say goes".

i don't believe you.

If you aren't part of the solution then you are part of the problem

As a cyclist I am sick of the moronic and selfish actions of people driving cars

And you know what, when you are in the rush hour traffic you only ever see one adult in the one car?

One occupant per car, that sirs is your problem

Last but not least check your flipping inside mirrors when doing a left turn, cyclists are getting knocked off their bikes

Don't be so presumptuous about people you don't know.

Firstly, this morning I saw a lovely cyclist yelling at a car driver who had done nothing wrong, before said cyclist went through a red light. Lesson - there's good and bad cyclists, and good and bad drivers. Don't be so prejudiced.

Secondly - one adult per car. How do you know the circumstances of those people? I have three people in my car for 80% of my journey, then drop off two of those people, before finishing the last mile alone. If you see me on that last mile and throw your presumptuous strop, you're making an assessment on a fraction of the information, which makes you look foolish.

3. I heard at a progress mtg for a construction project around the Childrens Hospital recently, from 1 of the representatives of the Uni, "we run this city, so what we say goes".

Is that an actual quote, or the general gist of what someone told you that person said?

Do you know who said it, and/or who your source is?

Strange if true.

It would be accurate for someone from the Hospitals or Universities to say that they bring in so much investment and provide so many jobs in Sheffield, that they are important stakeholders in the overall running of the city, and therefore hold some sway, but that's a little less dictatorial than the quote you give.

Don't be so presumptuous about people you don't know.

Firstly, this morning I saw a lovely cyclist yelling at a car driver who had done nothing wrong, before said cyclist went through a red light. Lesson - there's good and bad cyclists, and good and bad drivers. Don't be so prejudiced.

Secondly - one adult per car. How do you know the circumstances of those people? I have three people in my car for 80% of my journey, then drop off two of those people, before finishing the last mile alone. If you see me on that last mile and throw your presumptuous strop, you're making an assessment on a fraction of the information, which makes you look foolish.

I find you claim hard to believe that you had an additional 3 people in your car for 80% of your journey

This is why we need congestion charging to eliminate this, with the back up of CCTV

Let me get this right, 80% into your car journey you told everyone that they needed to get out?

Actual quote, but said without arrogance believe it or not.

Stating a fact that its just about the only booming component in the city.