Sledging in Sheffield when you were young

I do my shopping in Firth park,I remember sledging down that steep path in the park Itself where you can see the allotments,my eldest son and some of is pals went to the open air pool several times,I hope the X Ray did not come up with too many broken bones,I like the Flightliner name,the reason being I worked for Frieghtliner

Thats very kind of you to say so 25195348.No broken bones but I can still feel a tiny bump on the back of my head, incidentally, in my later working life I became a college lecturer:cool: so it must have done some good -- or maybe not:huh:, without the bump I may have got there earlier:hihi::hihi:!

Thats very kind of you to say so 25195348.No broken bones but I can still feel a tiny bump on the back of my head, incidentally, in my later working life I became a college lecturer:cool: so it must have done some good -- or maybe not:huh:, without the bump I may have got there earlier:hihi::hihi:!

You might say it was a lucky bump

G'Day 251953348, thank you for the comment re chilblains. Never knew it was a dietary problem, we always blamed it on the cold. Haven't given the ailment a thought in the past 40+ years in Aus, for us a daytime minimum temperature in the height of winter of 10C/50F is cold enough to get a write up in the local press.

G'Day 251953348, thank you for the comment re chilblains. Never knew it was a dietary problem, we always blamed it on the cold. Haven't given the ailment a thought in the past 40+ years in Aus, for us a daytime minimum temperature in the height of winter of 10C/50F is cold enough to get a write up in the local press.

I think I got it wrong about the bad diet, I looked it up and it was suggested it as a mild form of frostbite

am i the only one left who can remember sledging on the Blackhills,brimmesfield rd ,1945-1960,iused to go to the school that was on the same rd and craddock rd-1945-1955

When you were younger, where was your favourite spot for sledging? Along with a host of other youngsters I favoured Wayland Road, Sharrow Vale, which was quite steep and we had difficulty in either stopping at the bottom or doing a quick turn into a road which I can’t remember the name of. The whole road turned to ice very quickly, but luckily, in those days, nobody had cars so there were no complaints.

My second favourite was Dover Road — until a lad overshot it and finished up being hit be a tram on Ecclesall Road. Luckily, he was not seriously injured.

short & sweet Longley Park 1950's

am i the only one left who can remember sledging on the Blackhills,brimmesfield rd ,1945-1960,iused to go to the school that was on the same rd and craddock rd-1945-1955

as one door shuts another one closes

Beauchief golf course with mates, but Dad took us somewhere in Derbyshire sometimes.

there was a giant slag heap just down mansfield rd from the manor top with a pond behind it,you had to be suicidal though to attempt it

stepbung , yes my wife lived on dagnam rd, blackhills came in to there back garden ,was at cradock sch 42 to 52

We used to sledge down the hill between Dryden Road and Wordsworth Avenue.

In the winter of 47 we used to go down Colley Rd and sledge down to the stream that ran parallel with Deerlands Ave.

We used a section of Anderson air-raid shelter for a sledge.

Don't know how there was never a serious accident

I was on that Anderson shelter on one occasion, my cousin was Brian Talbot he lived with our grandmother on Barrie cresent.