Sledging in Sheffield when you were young

We lived on Millmount Rd. in Meersbrook which was very steep. I'd just made myself a new sledge and the road was icy but pebbles stuck up above the thin layer.Trams ran across the bottom on Chesterfield Rd. Suddenly the sledge reached a big patch which was pure ice and I was flying to my early death towards a tram just starting off from the stop,the driver saw me and stopped only to see me shoot across the road into the gutter wherein I was catapulted against a wall,dazed but serviceable. I never told my mother but my dad found out and I got a thick e lived on Harvey clough rd and we sledged in Meersbrook Park, also Graves park, down Cavel run along path and down Chantry Rd to Woodseats on Chesterfield rd there was an alternative route to Cavel, the Bumps,which ran from Abbey Veiw, this was a a steep slope that was 3 long grass terraces with paths running along each so you would go up in the air and land on the next slope down was a steep narrow path to Chantry. It was a fantastic run,but difficult to negotiate

Coombe Road Crookes, fast, furiouis and no cars in those days, well the odd one or two.

Heavygate Road -used to make a fantastic slide on footpath, much to neighbour's annoyance. Sledging - definately the Bole Hills. Happy days, no health and safety there!!

Lydgett lane was another good, though risky one.

If you were really brave (or mad) you could do Manchester Road:loopy:

Or ski jump off Lydgett lane school 's flat top

Now that is crazy!! Definately not for girls.

I don't know, girls put up with more pain than we mere males could ever deal with!

Remember as a kid used to sledge down the steps at Gleadless Hill, and if not careful you ended up on Blackstock Road, great coming down, right bummer dragging it back up to top again

I don't know, girls put up with more pain than we mere males could ever deal with!

True - must be the altitude up 'ere acts as anaesthetic?:hihi: