Resurfacing questions..

*_ash_*

Well now that would usually depend on how well the contract was negotiated in the first place.

Wouldn't be the first time a company has run rings round a governmental body with contract negotiations.

How many billions have been ****** up the wall on failed IT projects?

The companies tasked to deliver get away scot free time and time again as the whishy-washy contracts aren't good enough to take them to task over.

So, I guess that most of the people posting here don't know that Amey have a 25 year contract from the council to maintain and resurface all the roads and pavements in the Sheffield city area.

That's all the roads. So even the little used one mentioned by the OP.

I'll be glad when many are done. As for little used, that's a serious understatement for this path!

Maybe it's easier to organise that way, maybe there's some other reason??

I think I've read before (on here) that doing the paths before the roads works better, and that's fine. I just can't believe this bit is even worth bothering with, let alone so soon.

This road is private land? It looks like a public highway from the streetview link.

It leads to private land.

Sandbed Road brings back memories the wall on the left was the perimeter of my old school Hillfoot County,the place is a mess alright back in the day 1950s it was well maintained as it was the route for coal lorries supplying the power station!.In those days you could drive all the way from Hillfoot Bridge to Liversey Street not the case now its blocked in two places!.Going back to subject you would think all the private firms on there would maintain the road for their own advantage or is it the councils problem?.

The old school wall is still there, and you can see the entrance stone that says 'BOYS'. It's quite a nice walk down there and along the river (before the fly-tipping area!). I would recommend popping down there old tup for a revisit. The paths are certainly nice! :hihi:

They aren't. They have a fixed contract for 25 years that includes resurfacing everything in the 1st 5 years.

Perhaps though they are picking the easy wins for another reason.

---------- Post added 17-02-2016 at 11:47 ----------

Nope. As described.

Well thats unfortunate then. I hope next time the council puts in a bit more detail about which order to do things, but that is 25 years away now I suppose.

Ultimately, if this is a public road then it must be on Amey's list to do at some point during the 5-year program of resurfacing. I guess you could make a fair case for saying, 'why bother resurfacing never-used roads', but that's an issue with overall plan, not really something you can complain about now that the program has started. Ultimately I guess Amey can't win with roads like this; they're supposed to be doing them, but they will get complaints if they do it first, last or inbetween...

The only vaguely worthy reason I can't think of for resurfacing a road like this, is that the council may consider that land underdeveloped, and are therefore improving the public realm (pavements) and access (road surface) in an attempt to make it more desirable to a developer.

Some of the roads in Sheffield are just staggeringly bad now I thought they were dreadful a few years ago, but now many of them are unbelievable.

Stocks Hill in Ecclesfield, where it meets Yew lane, is laughable/ Huge holes keep opening up, several layers deep, throwing up stones and rubble into the road too. This is happening all over Sheffield, I'm amazed they're allowed to let it get so dangerous.

I go along Yew Lane and to this junction every day. Yew Lane is very poor in parts, the left hand bend into Stocks Hill like you say is dreadful. I take that bit at about 3 mph.

Other really bad main ones have already been mentioned. Crookes is embarrassing. The section of Commonside near the Closed Shop seems to be like Alcoblog says - bomb damaged.

---------- Post added 17-02-2016 at 13:26 ----------

Ultimately, if this is a public road then it must be on Amey's list to do at some point during the 5-year program of resurfacing. I guess you could make a fair case for saying, 'why bother resurfacing never-used roads', but that's an issue with overall plan, not really something you can complain about now that the program has started. Ultimately I guess Amey can't win with roads like this; they're supposed to be doing them, but they will get complaints if they do it first, last or inbetween...

The only vaguely worthy reason I can't think of for resurfacing a road like this, is that the council may consider that land underdeveloped, and are therefore improving the public realm (pavements) and access (road surface) in an attempt to make it more desirable to a developer.

It's not the road, it's the footpaths Andrew. New kerbs and all.

The only people who use this road are the businesses down on Club Mill and fly-tippers and I doubt they walk down :hihi:

I might suggest this footpath to the Sheffield Walkers Group. At least it will get some use :D

I find it highly unlikely that Amey would get complaints if they prioritised roads that actually get used a lot.

When will they be resurfacing Crookes main Rd?:confused:

Have to drive at 10 mph to avoid car damage

I don't suppose it helps but when the road I lived on was so bad I went round with a petition and got the local councillors involved and Head of Highways, it took 18 months but finally got it resurfaced (Rotherham area).

The louder you shout the more you get heard. Keep at it and don't stop until you get something done.