Resurfacing questions..

But what they can do is do proper research and identify the roads in the worst state of disrepair and prioritise those to be done first instead of messing around with the pavements.

Resurface those roads in the most urgent need of repair first. Its hardly rocket science , unless it seems if you work for Amey.

Precisely. I think hyper / geared probably got the answer right...

My theory is that its about the number of miles being redone against a plan. These roads are easy pickings and the PR spin will be that theyre ahead of schedule

^^^ I think you are probably right here. Either that or rather than a big payment up front (which is unlikely) they'll be paid per road/mile or something similar to this.

Why bother with the tough stuff first? (IF, this is roughly how it works)

To be fair, it's similar to how I do things at home. If I've written a long list of things to do, I'll pick off some of the easy ones first because the list looks better! :hihi: However, it's not particularly how I think a council should work with something as important as the transport network.

Precisely. I think hyper / geared probably got the answer right...

^^^ I think you are probably right here. Either that or rather than a big payment up front (which is unlikely) they'll be paid per road/mile or something similar to this.

Why bother with the tough stuff first? (IF, this is roughly how it works)

To be fair, it's similar to how I do things at home. If I've written a long list of things to do, I'll pick off some of the easy ones first because the list looks better! :hihi: However, it's not particularly how I think a council should work with something as important as the transport network.

Amey aren't just being paid to resurface the roads, the contract says that for 25 years the roads and the paths maintenance are their responsibility.

Amey aren't just being paid to resurface the roads, the contract says that for 25 years the roads and the paths maintenance are their responsibility.

Do you think it's a good use of time and money to repave a path that is never used before other streets which are obviously in dire need?

Why do you think they are doing it? That's all I want to know.

Do you think it's a good use of time and money to repave a path that is never used before other streets which are obviously in dire need?

Why do you think they are doing it? That's all I want to know.

I can only speculate, but I'd guess that Amey is doing it in the way that they believe is the most cost effective way.

I can only speculate, but I'd guess that Amey is doing it in the way that they believe is the most cost effective way.

If that means rebuilding and resurfacing a path that no sod ever walks on before doing the same to knackered and well used roads, then I'd suggest it was the wrong way.

If that means rebuilding and resurfacing a path that no sod ever walks on before doing the same to knackered and well used roads, then I'd suggest it was the wrong way.

To be fair to them, a good size of my commute has been done, but the order that they're done does seem a bit random.

Crookes to be done 7 March

Good.

10 characters

Side note: My suspension was snapped yesterday again on a pothole.

Try being a more observant driver.

If I was Amey, wanting to make a profit, I would - over the 25 year life of the contract - plan to sort out the roads which are likely to get least use and damage first. I'd probably only have to do those once and they'll last 25 years. But the roads that get most use, and most wear, and most damage, I'd probably leave as late as possible in order to ensure the maximum chance the work will last the length of the contract and I'll only have to do them once, or at any rate as least often as possible.

In the real world, there are also other priorities besides that. And given the need to minimise disruption and maintain routes, it is inevitable that some quiet routes will get done before some busy routes.

Why not try it?

Draw a road system on a piece of paper and set yourself some rules. You have five years to resurface everything. You have limited resources. You won't be able to do much over the winter except emergency patching which will take up most of your staff and resource. There will be snow. You need to keep main routes moving, avoid disrupting areas for long periods of time, and so on and so forth. Some roads will need digging up for gas, electric, water etc. Every so often a car or lorry will crash and carve up a surface.

I think we should always question these things, but at the same time we should recognise that the logistics are not straightforward.

From the progress they've made so far it does seem like small/less used roads are getting done first, leaving all the big, busy ones till last.

Maybe it's easier to organise that way, maybe there's some other reason??

From their commercial priorities that makes complete sense, although as a council tax payer and resident I dislike it. If they resurface the more heavily used roads later, then it will be longer before they need repairing all over again, and longer before people are getting angry that the roads are in a bad state again.

yep, all next week