It's official, English kids are the stupidest in the developed world

I take on board your point about educationalists, but the facts are that they are still teachers, even the ones who fancy themselves as educationalists. We can't escape the fact that teachers of all sorts of persuasions are at the heart of determining what education our children get.

We can't start splitting hairs about them being the wrong sort of teachers advising the government because it doesn't help our children get a decent education. Teachers themselves, as a group, need to get to grips with this mess. They might be the problem but I hope we can agree that they are also the solution.

Teachers, themselves, as a group, would love to. Given the chance.

Dear boy, you should have learned by now that I am always at least a couple of steps in front of you, yet still you keep trudging blindly forward, step by step, like a column of lemmings to the cliff edge.

So for example. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/members-of-new-commission-on-assessment-without-levels-announced

Go ahead and feel free to try proving your silly idea that teachers don't advise the Dept for Education. Honestly, you do let forth some unrelenting guff on occasions. ;)

Notice how you try to subtly change what you've said, as tzijlstra already pointed out, you switched a key word here. From decide to advise.

It's not that you're not clever, it's just that your dishonest, which makes an attempt to talk to you an exercise in frustration.

Instead of an honest exchange of opinions, it's a constant battle to spot the little untruths and twists which you use in an attempt to 'win' points.

I don't have any political association, I just call it like it is, and teachers have always been at the heart of education policy from chief education officers through to working groups, from teacher training to devising lesson plans. It's teachers all the way, all the time and the are no politicians in classrooms.

If teachers don't like it they are either responsible or complicit but they can't just hide behind politicians decade in and out when they are failing our children. Excuses don't cut it.

You know what would be a useful experiment. Go to your local school and make an appointment with the Principal. See if you can persuade her or him to let you shadow a teacher for a week. You'd have to get CRB clearance first. Explain what it is you want to do. Ask to check the: schemes of work, lesson plans, registers and tutorial record, for your chosen class. The Principal may chose a class for you.You could also check the Inspection Records -it's a public document . It's a worthy experiment. It might lead you, to some valuable insights as to the nature of teaching, and to how learning outcomes are achieved .After all ,a large proportion of schooling is in the public domain;and

schools have nothing to hide. I don't see why a Principal or Board of Governors wouldn't agree to such an experiment. You might be able to feed back some of your discoveries to the Head Teacher and Governors.

I'd certainly would want to read what you had discovered, from such an experience. You never know, you might set a trend.

Teachers have failed our children. It's not a political game, it's the future of our children and the success of the whole of the UK.

It isn't teachers that keep shifting the goalposts Eric, it's government ministers, most of whom appear to be as ignorant about education as you are.

---------- Post added 04-02-2016 at 20:56 ----------

You know what would be a useful experiment. Go to your local school and make an appointment with the Principal. See if you can persuade her or him to let you shadow a teacher for a week. You'd have to get CRB clearance first. Explain what it is you want to do. Ask to check the: schemes of work, lesson plans, registers and tutorial record, for your chosen class. The Principal may chose a class for you.You could also check the Inspection Records -it's a public document . It's a worthy experiment. It might lead you, to some valuable insights as to the nature of teaching, and to how learning outcomes are achieved .After all ,a large proportion of schooling is in the public domain;and

schools have nothing to hide. I don't see why a Principal or Board of Governors wouldn't agree to such an experiment. You might be able to feed back some of your discoveries to the Head Teacher and Governors.

I'd certainly would want to read what you had discovered, from such an experience. You never know, you might set a trend.

It's considered rude to present someone else's words as your own Pete.

Unless it serves the Tory propaganda requirements somehow, it's unlikely to happen.

Most definitely, it should be up to the teaching profession on how to weed out the crap ones, but that requires the profession to self-regulate appropriately as well.

Teachers are regularly appraised by their employer. In addition, they are observed regularly and graded. They are subject to a lengthy probationary period and must comply with continuous profession development requirements.

Unsatisfactory teachers are rigorously weeded out at every level in the education system. You just cannot get away with unsatisfactory teaching .

One issue that has hardly been touched on is the starting point of some children. Children who have never been read to, never been to a library and whose family don't have books tend to struggle to catch up throughout their schooling. This impacts on their verbal understanding, so I imagine they also must take up a disproportionate amount of teaching time.

We hear about children moving into secondary education who are barely literate. I went to school in the fifties, there were children from all sorts of economic backgrounds and a whole range of abilities in my primary class. Some may not have been the best readers, but all could read, write and do arithmetic by the time we started secondary school. Forty plus in a class and no teaching assistants. Perhaps the difference is that nearly every parent respected teachers and valued education as a way to improve ones life back then.

Edited by Ms Macbeth