Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

They saw greater regeneration / economic benefits arising from having the HS2 station in the city centre, rather than at Meadowhall.

Really?? I suspect that it was more their eternal blinkered approach to anything coming to Sheffield. "if its not in the town centre then we dont want it"

Still, academic now as they wont be getting anything

Well good to see the costs are increasing in line with public expectation.

£200 billion anyone??

Ho hum. Another bitter nimby spreading more anti-HS2 dog crap.

---------- Post added 06-11-2018 at 18:16 ----------

Cancel the whole thing. It's already stopped us getting electrification of the lines up to Leeds. The costs of the project keep rising, countless people's lives are being disrupted for the sake of shaving 20 minutes off the time to London.

HS2 didn't stop the Midland Mainline getting electrified. Grayling did, because he's a bitter North-hating crackhead who makes a mess of everything he touches.

• 3 months later...

Report tonight on Look North about HS2. Apparently Chris Grayling has been asked to clarify that the northern spur from Birmingham to Leeds will still be going ahead as their are concerns about sticking to the £52 billion budget? He said it would.  Presumably if the line doesn't make it to Leeds then the spur to Sheffield will be shelved as well? 

Another bloke was interviewed, (didn't catch his name or job title), who was charged with getting the project underway up to our region.  Again he was asked twice if the £52 billion figure was the final figure or could / would it be increased. He said that is the budgeted figure for the project & the challenge was to bring it in on budget.  Strange, I never knew my tv had smellyvision as I thought I could detect the odour of burning pants. 

Still think it's all a waste of money.  £52 billion to knock 45 mins off the Leeds / London journey. We'll all have our own jet packs by the time this possibly rolls out in 2035.

Edited by Baron99

38 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Report tonight on Look North about HS2. Apparently Chris Grayling has been asked to clarify that the northern spur from Birmingham to Leeds will still be going ahead as their are concerns about sticking to the £52 billion budget? He said it would.  Presumably if the line doesn't make it to Leeds then the spur to Sheffield will be shelved as well? 

Another bloke was interviewed, (didn't catch his name or job title), who was charged with getting the project underway up to our region.  Again he was asked twice if the £52 billion figure was the final figure or could / would it be increased. He said that is the budgeted figure for the project & the challenge was to bring it in on budget.  Strange, I never knew my tv had smellyvision as I thought I could detect the odour of burning pants. 

Still think it's all a waste of money.  £52 billion to knock 45 mins off the Leeds / London journey. We'll all have our own jet packs by the time this possibly rolls out in 2035.

It's about capacity. It's always been about capacity. Sure, we could build it using old tech and similar prehistoric infrastructure that we have now, but that would be pretty stupid.

A benefit of faster times to London is that it can reduce the brain drain. I know of a number of small high-tech and creative industry startups in Sheffield that eventually relocated to London, as that's where many of their clients were. Taking an hour and a half off the round trip time makes single-day trips to London to meet clients etc more feasible and reduces the impetus to relocate.

On 06/11/2018 at 18:13, pss60 said:

Ho hum. Another bitter nimby spreading more anti-HS2 dog crap.

Funny how no-one is willing to be tied down to an exact figure though, as it's clearly going to skyrocket.

Construction hasn't yet even started, so maybe wait till the line is actually here before idiotically shouting people down??

2 hours ago, geared said:

Funny how no-one is willing to be tied down to an exact figure though, as it's clearly going to skyrocket.

Construction hasn't yet even started, so maybe wait till the line is actually here before idiotically shouting people down??

I don't know how you can predict the cost of something that's going to take that long. The pound has gone up and down around 20% since 2016.

Discussed at length last evening on Question time. It would appear moves are afoot to abandon HS2, due to it's cost, now at an estimated 100 billion. And doubt was cast if it would have gone past Birmingham any way. This white elephant just gets better and better.

As Mr Mogg stated, we lose the 2 billion already spent, but save 98 billion. It's a no brainer really, time it was put to death.

Angel1.