Parked cars and right of way

This is a bit of a rant but also a genuine observation regarding single carriage ways and parked cars. Is it me or do a lot of drivers not realise that when driving on a single carriageway when there is a parked car, that the "free" side of the road has the right of way and the other lane with parked car should give way unless flashed to pass by driver with right of way.

This is the rant side ;) Why do drivers (On blocked side of road) think is ok to force their way through, run you off the road be abusive and generally think its a free for all?

Also do they not realise that if it is your right of way that you do not have to wave as a thank you gesture (Although I do) out of curtesy but it is wrong not to wave if it's not your right way and someone flashes you through.

I have been driving thirty odd years and it seems to get worse.

Anybody else noticed this?

Most older drivers like to have a moan, I have not really come across this problem.

Many kid drivers think they know it all and don't even realise they have done wrong and that's the problem

Edited by Daven

I'm sorry dardandec, all the responses so far seem to have got the wrong end of the stick or seem to have an agenda.

You are quite right. It is a problem and it winds me up too. But I think some people are are genuinely ignorant rather than arrogant with it.

It isn't quite so simple though. If the oncoming car is travelling uphill, it is good practice for the other car to give way. Good driving is more about assessing situations and making good decisions, rather than slavishly following rules.

They probably genuinely don't realise their mistake?

It irritates me too, but it's more confusing on hills, where

the unobstructed side is downhill, do we give way to traffic coming up

as per the old fashioned courtesy?

In fact, is the old way of giving way to vehicles coming up hill now outdated

as modern cars don't lose revs on hills?

It isn't quite so simple though. If the oncoming car is travelling uphill, it is good practice for the other car to give way. Good driving is more about assessing situations and making good decisions, rather than slavishly following rules.

Whilst I agree with your last point, when push comes to shove, the obstruction on your side principle means you should give way.

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 08:27 ----------

They probably genuinely don't realise their mistake?

It irritates me too, but it's more confusing on hills, where

the unobstructed side is downhill, do we give way to traffic coming up

as per the old fashioned courtesy?

In fact, is the old way of giving way to vehicles coming up hill now outdated

as modern cars don't lose revs on hills?

No. The obstruction rule applies.

The uphill downhill rule is not as relevant today, except for instance when it is snowing, but there has to be a rule and it may as well be the existing one!

Fly in ointment if you believe in the existence of a right of way:

HC p.34

"General rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders

This section should be read by all drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders. The rules in The Highway Code, do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident."

So when is it reasonable for a driver to pass a nearside parked vehicle because he/she got to the pinchpoint first?

Or when the pinchpoint is vehicles on both sides of the road?