[RELEASED] Windows 10 - NEW THREAD

Mikes10

I discovered my upgrade from Windows 7 did have a glitch.

It seems when it upgraded my local account to a Microsoft account, it forgot to change the permissions of c:/Users/<username> which I believe is why I couldn't get Sims 4 to run. Basically, anything trying to write to my Documents folder would throw its hands up and fail miserably.

I wonder if it was a fluke or this is a genuine migration bug?

The only other issue I have with Windows 10 is similar to Windows 8, search is not extensive enough.

If you are looking for specific items under Settings or Control Panel, it just doesn't find them. It seems it only searches for actual apps/exe and quite often will suggest an app from the Windows Store (try typing in battery) rather than something actually on your PC. You end up having to follow Internet results to find what you are actually looking for which is silly, as how hard could it be to include meta data for things in settings and control panel?

I constantly forget that I have to go into Start, Settings, System to get to the battery stats. Having what is effectively a second control panel with different options in there is just confusing. I had hoped they had completely migrated (or at least duplicated) every control panel option into a tablet friendly format, but it seems they have not and so you still need to access two completely different sections for related options.

Although, at least Apps & features shows all applications now, not just WinRT ones. So you can actually see what is taking up space on your PC all together in a single list. Still waiting on that promised ability to move WinRT apps to SD cards though, they pulled it at the last minute apparently.

In other news, WiFi Sense is not a security risk.

Edited by AlexAtkin

In respect of Wifi Sense, I could not see that being an issue anyway - especially in my case as the modern router I have has one gateway for the home network and 3 additional ones for guests to log on too - the issue of wireless security has in any event been dealt with by hardware manufacturers even before Windows 10 was released. ;)

Guest networks you still have to give out passwords or leave them open. The idea here is you do not have to do anything except choose which networks will share, your friends come in range and it "just works".

I'm still not entirely sure how WiFi Sense works if it only shares Internet, it must be sharing via your PC itself. But then can you share a wired connection over your PCs WiFi too?

Its not like I will ever use it.

Edited by AlexAtkin

I wiped my old 7 Enterprise installation and installed 8.1 Pro which automatically asked me if I wanted 10 during the install.

So far very impressed, especially with the boot time. I tried 8 and 8.1 numerous times and just couldn't get to like it.

The only gripe I had was setting up tiles for things like "run", "search", "control panel" and a few others, before realising they were all there if you right click start!

The only gripe I had was setting up tiles for things like "run", "search", "control panel" and a few others, before realising they were all there if you right click start!

As it was with 8 and 8.1 ;)

You could right click at bottom right and get those :)

The common factor problem here appears to be the users.

I've done several installs now and not one problem, 2 of them 'beast' machines.

What can I say?

Microsoft wasted billions writing an idiot-proof operating system; I simply made a better idiot :)

edit:

I think I've identified the cause of the full hardware lockup I experienced on post 77 of this topic. . .

I fired up the Edge browser again and I was looking through whichever awful home page Microsoft impose on you, when an embedded video starts playing and within seconds. . . POW!

Another full hardware lockup!

I'm using an ATI Radeon video card!

No surprises there, eh!

AMD / ATI / Radeon must be solely responsible for 50% of the hardware lockups and BSODs I've experienced since using Windows :|

The only good news about Windows 10 is that GTA San Andreas still plays, and hasn't yet caused a full hardware lockup.

And the issue in post 93 seems to have been resolved too; I no longer need to scroll horizontally to see all columns on the SF homepage.

Edited by The Joker

I had a bit of an issue with Cortana when I took the upgrade, though it seemed to cure itself.

However a second issue I found was blurry text in some programs like Microsoft money. And again in some windows drop down menus, and secondary windows for instance device manager, or system properties.

Found this page with the solution that works perfectly for me. Worth a try if you know anyone else with the same symptoms.

http://windows10_dpi_blurry_fix.xpexplorer.com/

Overall I am starting to warm to Windows 10, till I find the next thing to stump me.