[RELEASED] Windows 10 - NEW THREAD

Download from Microsoft

You will need a blank DVD or Pen Drive.

Choose the Upgrade option.

Actually, you can extract the contents of the ISO with WinZip/7-zip onto the HDD and run the setup file from there - no DVD/USB stick required. Although I would advise using a USB stick or a second partition (not your C: drive).

I actually upgraded my Windows 8 machine by double clicking the ISO on a network drive and running setup. It copies all the files it needs to C: drive before it reboots to complete the install.

I'm still waiting patiently for the upgrade...All the information I've got says it could be a few days or a few weeks...I seem to be at the back of the queue..:(

Me too................

Me too................

Got upgrade on P.C,but still waiting for upgrade on laptop.

Actually, you can extract the contents of the ISO with WinZip/7-zip onto the HDD and run the setup file from there - no DVD/USB stick required. Although I would advise using a USB stick or a second partition (not your C: drive).

I actually upgraded my Windows 8 machine by double clicking the ISO on a network drive and running setup. It copies all the files it needs to C: drive before it reboots to complete the install.

Thanks for that advice Alex. Can I assume that would work from an external hard drive too?

I have just completed working on one of the two images I made of Widows 10

All bundled Apps have been removed. Search has been disabled and no more Cortana on the desktop. I'm quite surprised at well Windows 10 is running now.

I'll tweak further before deciding which OS to finally go with... Eight or Ten :)

---------- Post added 06-08-2015 at 09:44 ----------

Me too................

There is no need at all to wait... :o

Just download and upgrade. :)

---------- Post added 06-08-2015 at 09:47 ----------

The Xbox streaming feature is a brilliant addition and so is multi-desktop feature. Still getting used to the new layout (no more moving to right edge of screen to shutdown)

Never moved right to shut down on 8.1

Winkey+X or make a shut down short cut on task bar.

go to your C drive>windows>software and distribution>downloads. delete everything in that folder.

then press start, in search box type CMD and then when it appears right click it and run as administrator. when CMD pops up, type in wuauclt.exe/updatenow and press enter.

go to windows update and it should be downloading windows 10.

go to your C drive>windows>software and distribution>downloads. delete everything in that folder.

then press start, in search box type CMD and then when it appears right click it and run as administrator. when CMD pops up, type in wuauclt.exe/updatenow and press enter.

Thanks for that but for me it is a bit too techy so I think I will wait.On second thoughts I may give it a try,nothing ventured nothing gained.

Edited by Kidorry
added text

thanks Playstation, good info there i didnt know that.

Have installed Win 10 OK but one niggle I can't figure out. I can't drag icons on the desktop to where I want them. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Just tried to order my upgrade but received message "ATI Radeon X1200 Series" not compatible contact manufacturer" is this a driver upgrade or am I not able to go to 10.

Searched online and on this thread but answers are not very clear.

Have installed Win 10 OK but one niggle I can't figure out. I can't drag icons on the desktop to where I want them. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Do you have any third party extensions managing your desktop?

If not have you tried the obvious and right click > view > untick auto arrange icons

Did a clean installation post upgrade by resetting the machine, I have a backup of win7 if I need it. but by the look of it I probably won't be going back on this laptop

Without the Asus bloatware the machine runs faster than it did under win7 and appears to still have most of it's features, some of the function buttons no longer work like for disabling the trackpad when a mouse is pluged in but the driver has a setting to do that automatically, similarly brightness buttons don't work but that's easily controlled on screen.

So on the whole win10 for the win and asus can go do one with their add ons.

Still has a problem with silverlight but that seems to be a general problem with silverlight and anything after IE10 where it's not producing sound.

I prefer firefox anyway and silverlight runs in that quite happily.

Noticed a few things I really don't want like xbox are still there I managed to get rid of xbox with this advice http://www.teoti.com/useful/136127-how-to-remove-xbox-from-windows-10.html

Noticed a few things I really don't want like xbox are still there I managed to get rid of xbox with this advice http://www.teoti.com/useful/136127-how-to-remove-xbox-from-windows-10.html

I took the more extreme option and used PowerShell to delete all bundled apps :hihi:

All gone or specific apps

Some nice tweaks on the same site too.