Moving to Spain but worried about terrorism

Do you know what a big fat zero is? Can you visualise it? Well, less than that.

You've got more to fear from the remnants of ETA. And a Syriza-like government getting the helm at the next Spanish elections.

:twisted::hihi:

Well that's good to know! I have been imagining all sorts. Massive groups of Isis militants swarming up the coast declaring war and taking over the country!!! Think I have been watching too much Sparticus :hihi:

If it was true and Isis tried taking over Spain....

What are their chances of achieving that?

The same chance of it snowing 365 days of the year. Breathe, relax, enjoy your adventure.

...and put Facebook down.:rolleyes:

Edited by cassity

Quote AM-MUA; Sounds silly but I don't trust anyone these days when I`m out and about.

It is not silly at all and you are not on your own in feeling like this. The world is a dangerous place and is likely to get worse as these Muslims advance in the Middle East and continue with their barbarity. The fact that you are posting here and are of a nervous disposition indicates that you might be happier staying at home. Sunshine and sangria are no substitute for peace of mind. However, the security services have said that there will be atrocities here in the UK - it is not 'if' but 'when'. Nobody is safe from these people.

It is not silly at all and you are not on your own in feeling like this. .

It's VERY silly, but you're right, she isn't alone.

Spain is as safe as the UK. I would not worry about it. I am off to Cairo for work soon, now thats a place to worry about, but i know whats its like and should be fine!

I don't think its as safe as the UK, especially around the Costa's, but I would still go - just keep your eyes open for muggers, as for terrorists, they could strike any where.

Well that's good to know!
It isn't, really...Just ask your average Greek resident :D

TBH, if you've got such a nervous disposition, are you sure you're going to cope living in Spain? Different lingo, culture, rhythm, systems? Still very much in economic doldrums with record youth unemployment levels? A bit funny already, and getting only funnier about, honouring its EU obligations regarding NHS-like healthcare to EU migrants?

Go into this with both eyes open, and do your homework. It's not because the ISIS terror threat is pretty much nil (well, only as nil as elsewhere in the EU...and neither France nor the Maghreb are exactly far in that respect) that it's the only issue you need to 'worry' about.

Just friendly advice, saying all this to you as a serial intra-EU migrant myself. Even with a job lined up, it's never a bed of roses to begin with.

I don't think its as safe as the UK, especially around the Costa's, but I would still go - just keep your eyes open for muggers, as for terrorists, they could strike any where.

:huh:

I didn't realise ISIS were big coffee drinkers... :suspect:

:huh:

I didn't realise ISIS were big coffee drinkers... :suspect:

.......:hihi::hihi::hihi:......

Go, give it a chance. Have an adventure. If you don't like it the UK is only a few hours away. And the very best of luck to you.

Thank you everyone for your input.

I will go because to be honest there`s nothing left in England for me and it might be the best decision I have ever made. If it turns out now to be I will just come home! As for terrorism...yes its true that I`m petrified but I suppose I cant lock myself away for fear of them. I think its time I grew up and stopped being nervous about everything and start living. I have wasted so much time already. Many thanks people!!

My son works in London. One the morning of the 7/7 bombings I awoke to the news of the devastation knowing it was the train-line my son used. Thankfully, within minutes he had phoned me to say it was his day off and he was o.k. We were the fortunate ones.

It's a concern that similar or even worse could happen again but to allow it to be a constant worry would ruin my life and that of all around me, more importantly, my sons.

I'm a big believer in fate, "what will be, will be".

So, be vigilant wherever you are, this country or abroad but not to the point of paranoia. Better to take what could be a golden opportunity than to look back on life thinking "If only". Grab it with both hands. Many things will be strange at first so give yourself time to adjust. I wish you well.

I have a place in Spain (San Sebastian so not too far away) and it's a damn sight safer there than it is here. Travelling to and from is fine just so long as you take the same precautions as you would here at home.

Get yourself off you'll love it :D