Storage Heaters

We have them in our house.

I don't like it particularly, you can't dry washing on them and they are very hard to control temperature wise as they take a number of hours to cool down/warm up.

But they are apparently efficient with the electricity and we pay about £390 a year, all electric, 3-bedroom house. So we really are saving in the winters.

You will need a tumble dryer on weekends like this to guarantee everything is washed and dried in timely fashion so the clothes do not start to smell damp, unless you have a completely spare room in your house that you can set up a clothes horse and you don't mind being ROASTING hot.

Does anyone use storage heaters and are they any good? I'm asking because not able to have gas central heating. Thanks for any info.

Have you tried electric oil filled radiators, very effective and stay warm for ages when switched off.

Thank you all for the information. I was looking at the running cost and efficiency, I like the plant pot idea but don't think the wife would. I also used a oil filled radiator in my caravan I still had to use the gas fire. Thanks again alan p.

Have you tried electric oil filled radiators, very effective and stay warm for ages when switched off.

Oil filled units use peak rate electicity (assuming that you want heat during the day). Storage heaters heat up on reduced rate off peak tarriff during the night.

it's some years since we had storage heaters so maybe things have improved. we found the big drawback not being able to use them efficiently because of the unpredictable weather. you are in a "summer" period so don't charge the heaters up at night, only for the weather to turn cold and you've no heating. or a cool period is forecast so you charge the heaters overnight only for it to turn warm and the heat is wasted - back then by throwing the windows open because there was no control to stop the heat coming out. hopefully, they have improved.

Oil filled units use peak rate electicity (assuming that you want heat during the day). Storage heaters heat up on reduced rate off peak tarriff during the night.

Does that mean all storage heaters are on the Economy 7 tariff?