Sheffield Half Marathon 2015

Just done my second reccy run of the new route this morning (just from and back to, Hunters Bar roundabout)...

Expect a prolonged climb from Hunters Bar roundabout to (what I believe is) the Norfolk Arms pub, by the junction of Sheephill road. About 3.25 miles of steady climb, which I found a little harder than I anticipated, this new course is going to be significantly slower than last years! I plan on taking the hill section slowly, so I'm in good shape for Sheephill road to the finish, that's my plan at least!!

Good luck to everyone doing it! :)

Yeah, I'd say overall, it's probably quite a bit easier than both Eyam and Buxton.

Comparing the 3.25 miles of climb from Hunters Bar roundabout to the 2.8 mile climb at the start of Buxton...

I honestly don't think there's much in it. I feel like there are steep bits to both climbs, but maybe Buxton is a wee bit steeper in places, but then the Sheffield climb seems a bit longer. I may have to open up Garmin Connect to compare the actual ascents, I think it looked like 250m at Sheffield...

EDIT: Data from Garmin Connect (no idea how accurate my Garmin is at measuring altitude)...

My first Sheffield HM test run - a 3.3 mile climb from hunters bar roundabout: 111m to 359m = 248m ascent

My second Sheffield HM test run - a 3.43 mile climb from hunters bar roundabout: 111m to 342m = 231m ascent

Buxton HM 2014 - a 2.86 mile climb from the start: 309m to 482m = 172m ascent

So, could be more ascent than (first climb at) Buxton! *gulp*

Be interested to see if anyone else measures the ascent, please post data! :)

Edited by Waldo

Yeah, I'd say overall, it's probably quite a bit easier than both

I honestly don't think there's much in it. I feel like there are steep bits to both climbs, but maybe Buxton is a wee bit steeper in places, but then the Sheffield climb seems a bit longer. I may have to open up Garmin Connect to compare the actual ascents, I think it looked like 250m at Sheffield...

My first Sheffield HM test run - a 3.3 mile climb from hunters bar roundabout: 111m to 359m = 248m

So, could be more ascent than (first climb at) Buxton! *gulp*

Be interested to see if anyone else measures the ascent, please post data! :)

Blimey. Didn't think it would or could even be comparable. That said, the later climbs at Buxton are what do it!

I ve not entered SHM yet; I usually get a late entry, off someone who us injured/lame/lazy, but not seen any yet....

Amazing atmosphere as always thanks to all the wonderful people of Sheffield who supported.

And the organisation could not have been more different from last year so big well done to them and the volunteers.

The route was easier than I thought too, the return being nearly all downhill went really quick helped by a nice tail wind.

Did 1.51 which was quicker than last year.

Brilliant event, and extremely well supported. Well done everyone. :)

Just over 1:50 for me, slower than last year, but better than I expected, and quicker than my practice runs. Not sure what it is, but feels like in a race, other runners and the crowds, somehow pull you round the course.

Have to say though, collecting baggage after the race was a fiasco (massive queue which wasn't moving, had to give up after 30 mins stood still and getting cold). Hope they have a better system next year...

Also, I don't seem to be in the results. Just searched my name, and I'm there, but no times!

Results here http://yorkshirehalf.marathonapp.net/