Sheffield Half Marathon 2015

I have Eyam HM and Buxton HM coming up this (and next) Sunday. Anyone else doing those? Very scenic! Tempted?

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 09:53 ----------

Not a bad idea. Maybe useful for coordinating lifts too.

I was tempted. Done both previously but trying to focus on marathon now, Nottm or Chez, but also might do Trail Rush next weekend. :huh:

My HM times are similar too. I did 1.45 at Sheff but done a 1.37 at North Lincs two years back.

Anyone else do the Yorkshire Marathon using their treble tickets? The weather was perfect but I missed my sub-4 hour target when my legs turned to lead at 30km...still it was my first time, so I can give it another try next year, knees permitting!

Anyone else do the Yorkshire Marathon using their treble tickets? The weather was perfect but I missed my sub-4 hour target when my legs turned to lead at 30km...still it was my first time, so I can give it another try next year, knees permitting!

I saw a few people in the race wearing 'I took the tripple test' t-shirts. One chap said he got his just before starting the race, from the organisers. In one of the emails it said they'll be posting a surprise out to us though, presumably that'll be the t-shirt.

Enjoyed the race. Was good to 20 miles. Thought I may even be on for sub 4 hours. Slowed down to 22 miles and started feeling a bit gippy. Threw up (gels) just before the 23 mark. Walked and ran bits, to the finish (probably 2 miles of walking). Just need to work on that last 5 miles ... and not using gels, any ideas what to use instead?

I saw a few people in the race wearing 'I took the tripple test' t-shirts. One chap said he got his just before starting the race, from the organisers. In one of the emails it said they'll be posting a surprise out to us though, presumably that'll be the t-shirt.

Enjoyed the race. Was good to 20 miles. Thought I may even be on for sub 4 hours. Slowed down to 22 miles and started feeling a bit gippy. Threw up (gels) just before the 23 mark. Walked and ran bits, to the finish (probably 2 miles of walking). Just need to work on that last 5 miles ... and not using gels, any ideas what to use instead?

I bought a treble ticket but did not take part in the Sheff HM, so not really expecting a shirt (but wouldn't send it back if offered!).

I used a mix of gels, the sports drinks on offer and jelly babies (thanks to all the lovely spectators). No puking, but I slowed right down anyway. Short of parenteral nutrition from a backpack, I can't really think of anything better!

If I had paced myself better (I did a 1h48m half-marathon), I might have had something left when the 4h pacer and his thundering posse swept by with 4 miles to go...I will aim for 1h55m at half-way next year and see what is left in the tank.

Well done fellas.

I try different `food` on long runs. Best for me seems to be a mix of pear jelly bars and jelly babies. However, my best marathon time was done eating cola bottles on the way. Decathlon have quite a few options.

Thanks chaps! :)

Great suggestions for gel alternatives. Will have to get myself down to decathlon and try a few things.

I was around 1:55 at half way; but I'm guessing you probably beat me to the finish Pete? I did it in 4:27. My target was sub 4:30, so, happy on that count, but just a bit disappointed to have lost so much time in the last 6 miles. Early on, I was thinking not to worry so much about my pace, just work on keeping myself relaxed, natural, and running as smooth and efficiently as possible, in order to conserve energy. Only my second marathon though, so still making mistakes and hopefully learning loads. Want to do a few more longer training runs now, and try out some different foods; see how I respond, and how long I can go for.

Oh, just got an Email about the t-shirts. You can have your name (up to 15 characters) printed on one, and they'll post it out to you. :)

I will be looking out for a 'Waldo' in a triple T at future races!

There's a lot of guff around on the internet about not doing training runs of the full distance: "20 miles is enough". I think we have pretty much demonstrated that longer runs are required to minimise the 'death zone' effect at 20+!

I will have to fit in some long runs, say once a month, to work on this. The trouble is, how to do this whilst avoiding major hills? Any suggestions for fairly flat 20-25 mile routes near Sheffield?

I managed about 4h15m on Sunday, but am already in for Manchester 2016...

Congrats on 4h 15m Pete. That'll probably be my target time for my next one!

I did a few 20 mile training runs around the reservoirs off the A57. Not perfectly flat, but it's an awesome place to run. The top bit (Derwent and Howden) once, and the bottom but (Ladybower) twice; is just a wee bit over 20.

Also, if you want super flat, worth checking out Monsal trail and Tissington trail.

I`ve tended to not bother too much with finding flat for LDRs. Often I`ll do laps of my 5 mile route. This means I can still keep a close eye on pace each lap (don`t do GPS) and also I can bail out if necessary. I`ve also used the Round Sheffield Run which is just good fun. If I run that from home, it`s about 17 miles with lots of ups.

I`m hoping to squeeze a marathon in still this year and looking at options.

Anyone done Blackpool marathon? It's on April the 24th in 2016, quite tempted...

Any other marathons to consider?

I have a deferred entry into the Manchester marathon but it is the same day as the Sheffield HM, which I would like to run having not yet tried the new course. The timing of the Blackpool marathon is pretty good, 2 weeks after Sheffield!

Anyone done Blackpool marathon? It's on April the 24th in 2016, quite tempted...

Any other marathons to consider?

Not done Blackpool but heard mixed reviews about it tbh.

Manchester , on the other hand, is really rated by everyone I know who has done it. Later in the year, Chester is also supposed to be good.

http://www.marathonrunnersdiary.com/races/uk-marathon-list.php