Sheffield Half Marathon 2015

Yep, I was thinking Manchester too; but as you say, same day as Sheffield HM (already entered it). Timing for Blackpool is great for me; some of the reviews on runners world make for grim reading though (not bad enough to put me off though)..

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/ratingsall.asp?v=2&ugn=12113

Hey All

I ran the "city center" Sheffield half a couple of years ago and i am now signing up for the 2016 half.

I am wondering, should i still be looking for PB on the race despite "The Hill"?

Obviously i need to change the training program, but just wondering.

I finished in 1hr 42min last time..

Hey All

I ran the "city center" Sheffield half a couple of years ago and i am now signing up for the 2016 half.

I am wondering, should i still be looking for PB on the race despite "The Hill"?

Despite the hill many including myself were surprised how fast the course was.

I ran it near my current pb and at a similar time to the the previous route.

The hill is in just the right place so once complete its a very fast course mostly downhill to the finish line.

Obviously having hill on your training route,not hard in Sheffield! is a must.

Hi Craig,

I was about 5 mins slower in 2015 (new route), compared with the 2014 (old route).

If you want to practice run the route once or twice before the actual race; from, and back to, Hunters Bar, is about 9 and a bit miles.

Hey All

As it's a completely different course I've counted 2015 as a first Sheffield run, so it had to be a personal best for the event. A best I hope to beat in 2016. Probably not a course to get a PB half marathon time on, but that will depend on how many you've done and where.

As others have said the almost constant hill up to Ringinglow is daunting, but once you get there the downhill section is most welcome. I'd say 35-40% is uphill, some quite steeply from Banner Cross up to Ringinglow Road. Better not overdoing the slightly shorter and hilly first half, keeping reserves for the faster run back down. 2015 gave us a good following wind for that longer downhill stretch.

After the 2014 difficulties this was a brilliant run. Good crowd support too, much better than the old course.

I've also run the Sheffield hm and overall it was a great event with an fantastic atmosphere generated through an army of volunteers spectators and many runners.

I also tried the York marathon, but couldn't finish it due to an unbeatable stomach cramp and will try my luck again next year :thumbsup: But due to the fact that I'm not from UK *touristishfeeling* ... I enjoyed the fascinating architecture of York and read a bit of its interesting history.

Yeah and I'm going to do my next Sheffield hm in 2016.

Edited by juergen