What to do with a campervan MOT fail- help please!

Hi

I have a problem I'm unsure what to do about. I have a Mercedes Vito Campervan conversion which I bought last year with a full MOT and no advisories. Being far too trusting I bought her and had a fab summer, driving her all over with no problems.

She's been sat over the winter and as expected, needed a new battery when I came to start her again. The new battery became a new starter motor also and now she has just failed her MOT and basically needs a lot of welding which I just can't afford to do. So I now have a van with no MOT and I don't know what is best to do.

I understand that scrap metal prices are pretty rubbish at the moment, so I don't particularly want to scrap her. However I've just paid out to get her back moving again and could do with getting some of my money back (I paid 3 grand for her a year ago so I'm feeling quite pained by this). I need the van off the road as the MOT ran out on 20th Feb, but what is the most sensible way of getting rid? Am I really going to be able to sell a van in need of loads of welding on ebay? And am I going to be able to do this quickly? Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm literally in the middle of moving house and could do without all of this to be honest!

Thanks in advance!

Hi

I have a problem I'm unsure what to do about. I have a Mercedes Vito Campervan conversion which I bought last year with a full MOT and no advisories. Being far too trusting I bought her and had a fab summer, driving her all over with no problems.

She's been sat over the winter and as expected, needed a new battery when I came to start her again. The new battery became a new starter motor also and now she has just failed her MOT and basically needs a lot of welding which I just can't afford to do. So I now have a van with no MOT and I don't know what is best to do.

I understand that scrap metal prices are pretty rubbish at the moment, so I don't particularly want to scrap her. However I've just paid out to get her back moving again and could do with getting some of my money back (I paid 3 grand for her a year ago so I'm feeling quite pained by this). I need the van off the road as the MOT ran out on 20th Feb, but what is the most sensible way of getting rid? Am I really going to be able to sell a van in need of loads of welding on ebay? And am I going to be able to do this quickly? Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm literally in the middle of moving house and could do without all of this to be honest!

Thanks in advance!

I would consider selling on eBay as spares or repairs. There's plenty of people who want a campervan and plenty of people who want a 'project'. Spares or repairs vehicles usually fetch a descent price, if you have time to watch a few similar auctions you'll see.

Without MOT and needing a ton of welding you're going to struggle to get a grand out of it.

Have you taken it to a few garages to get prices on the work??

Thank you. That is what I was thinking of doing, it's just with her not having an MOT and being on the road still, I need to sell quickly. I will try this though and see what happens.

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 15:02 ----------

No I've only had her in one garage, but the problem is that there is a crack in the windscreen, and the glazier has come out today to replace it for the test, and realised the reason for the crack is a hole in the roof. He said that for someone who can do the work it's not an expensive thing, but for me it's just mounting up with all the underneath welding too.

I think you're allowed to keep the vehicle on the road, so long as it has Tax and insurance.

Obviously you can't dive it, but I think it's allowed to be parked up.

They may have changed the law around it tho, but I thought it was tax and insurance that was required.

Your insurance is invalid if you have no MOT...

Your insurance is invalid if you have no MOT...

No, it is not. Your fine to keep it on the road so long as it's insured and taxed.

jb

In my experience, as an ex-personal injury lawyer, you would be unable to use your insurance to claim vehicle damage if your MOT has expired. This might not mean that your vehicle would be seized for not having an MOT, but it would certainly make it unlikely that your policy would indemnify you where your vehicle isn't roadworthy.

However, this is a bit beside the point as I need to get rid of my van ASAP, mainly because I'm soon to not live here any more and can't drive it anywhere. I got a quote for £150 for scrap. Surely the conversion inside is worth that though? I'll try ebay.

In my experience, as an ex-personal injury lawyer, you would be unable to use your insurance to claim vehicle damage if your MOT has expired. This might not mean that your vehicle would be seized for not having an MOT, but it would certainly make it unlikely that your policy would indemnify you where your vehicle isn't roadworthy.

However, this is a bit beside the point as I need to get rid of my van ASAP, mainly because I'm soon to not live here any more and can't drive it anywhere. I got a quote for £150 for scrap. Surely the conversion inside is worth that though? I'll try ebay.

You wouldn't have your car seized for no MOT...I don't think you even get points for it..

If you're moving local to local have it transported to your new address. A guy advertising in my local garage does it for £20. At least it'll take the pressure off.

You wouldn't have your car seized for no MOT...I don't think you even get points for it..

and the insurance will only refuse to pay out if you were driving it around without MOT, which obviously you wouldn't be doing.

If someone smashes into it while it's on the side of the road then insurance will pay out.

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 15:52 ----------

I got a quote for £150 for scrap. Surely the conversion inside is worth that though? I'll try ebay.

You'll get better on eBay, I'm sure there is abit of money in the conversion - but as most are custom jobs it's not something you can easily take out and sell on.

Thanks, I'll take some pictures and list on ebay when she gets delivered back. Don't really want to take to new address as we're quite tight for parking with 2 other vehicles on the drive and double yellows outside. I'm glad nobody's said the best bet is scrap value, which is what I was afraid of!