Snake Pass/Woodhead closures

When it's closed they always say Hurst road to Ladybower as that is the limits of roads off it that are no just dead ends.

It's going to be open for most of the route otherwise all teh farmers and people who live there will be housebound for a fortnight! It's just not going to be open to through traffic.

As to the possibility of cycling it - easy possible although you would have a bit of a carry over some access land I expect at some point on the road!

If it says that the road is closed then surely its closed. Maybe there is an enormous hole in the road that isnt safe to pass.

Valley-side retaining walls are never visible.

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 23:00 ----------

SCC's website cross-refers us to Derbyshire County Council's.

Location: A57 Snake Road adj Woodlands Methodist Church below Gillott Hey Farm

Description: carriageway patching and renewal of kerbs and small works to adjacent wall parapet

Permit status: PAA Granted

Works ref: DF0184240099

"Snake Road"?!

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Snake road is the correct name for the road. It derives from the Snake Inn, which has William Cavendish's shield on it;s pub sign, which has snakes on etc...

Of course the pass is called the snake pass, then the road became called the snake pass and then they renamed the inn the Snake Pass Inn after the road just to make it really confusing..

As for the valley walls in the late 1990's I went over to Glossop and saw a little tiny sag on the road just above the Inn, a tiny crack a mere bagatelle.... and I stopped by the police station in Glossop and told them.

Coming back from Manchester it was back over the Woodhead pass, as theyd closed the Snake because when they drove the road gang up to patch my little crack, about 200 yards of the road slid four foot down the hillside.... was shut for a fair while as I recall.

Kippy from Langsetts posted a ride this afternoon. He says hardly any obstruction up there but a few patches of gravel so take it easy on the way back down. If I can shift this chest infection that's Friday afternoon planned then

I rode over it on Wednesday, and it was fantastic. A few gravelly patches and a bit of earth on patches of the road where some stuff has come off the lorries but nothing more than that.

Great ride yesterday, one section of traffic lights heading up towards Snake Pass Inn and a few patches of gravel but other than that, it's all gravy.

Never ridden that road before because of all the traffic but glad I did now - it's really quite nice round that way.

Great ride yesterday, one section of traffic lights heading up towards Snake Pass Inn and a few patches of gravel but other than that, it's all gravy.

Never ridden that road before because of all the traffic but glad I did now - it's really quite nice round that way.

So it's not closed at all?