Sheffield City Centre Parking

Its really great that you can park all day in Sheffield for £1 on Sundays. I expect the price of parking would go up if a few more places were actually open when you got there.

The only place in the city centre I can think of that's closed on Sundays is the Moor Market. Everywhere else there I've seen is open 7 days a week.

---------- Post added 12-01-2015 at 20:19 ----------

Is that a fact? I suppose it doesn't occur to you that Chesterfield is more convenient for rather a lot of folk.

For how many people in Sheffield would Chesterfield be more convenient for than Sheffield? Even people living near Chesterfield Road and Meadowhead would find it easier to get to Sheffield city centre. The most heavily populated parts of Sheffield are on the north and west sides anyway, especially S5, S6, S10 and S11. There's no way people in those places could get to Chesterfield more easily than they could to the city centre.

But that's assuming you started from the city centre. For most people Meadowhall is actually a shorter and more convenient drive than getting into the centre of Sheffield.

Its really great that you can park all day in Sheffield for £1 on Sundays. I expect the price of parking would go up if a few more places were actually open when you got there.

---------- Post added 12-01-2015 at 19:55 ----------

I've no idea, but as I'd drive past rather a lot of places where parking is free on the way to Leeds, including Meadowhall I'd probably save the fuel and park there and buy my TV.

---------- Post added 12-01-2015 at 19:56 ----------

Is that a fact? I suppose it doesn't occur to you that Chesterfield is more convenient for rather a lot of folk. :loopy::loopy:

Why would someone from most parts of Sheffield go to a branch of Currys in Chesterfield rather than Sheffield?

In fact I don't think any part of Sheffield is near the one at the retail park in Chesterfield than any of the ones in Sheffield.

You come across in your posts like some representative for Chesterfield Chamber of Commerce :D

Oh, and have a few of these in return :loopy::loopy::loopy:

You come across in your posts like some representative for Chesterfield Chamber of Commerce.

I was thinking he would be more the Flat Earth Society.

If you read the OP he says he couldn't find a parking space. That suggests they were full or he's blind in which case he shouldn't be driving. That suggests they city centre is doing well. Obviously that mountain you live on isn't high enough or you'd be able to see these things.

lol.

I can see Cardiff in the distance.

I can see the lights of Bristol across the Bristol Chanel......

Unfortunately Sheffield is just too far away for my failing eye site....that's why I rely on the good people of Sheffield to inform me via this website.

From what I read Sheffield city centre is a dump.

If I'm wrong it's the good people of Sheffield giving me false information.:)

City centres with a much better retail offering than Sheffield also have worse road systems and more expensive parking - and yet they prosper. Something about that suggests that people aren't really that fussed about the parking costs and 'complexity' of the road system in Sheffield. If Sheffield city centre is dying (it isn't) then it's because of other reasons.

In an ideal world the council would build motorways to every section of the city and provide 1 million free parking spaces for every shop, but for a host of economic, environmental, logisitcal and political reasons that have been explained to you on this thread and others a hundred times before, that just isn't possible.

So please give it a rest.

Most other city centres of similar size have much denser populations than Sheffield so prosper from increased footfall.

So the Meadowhall area would still prosper from discouraging motorists? Why don't they pedestrianise it all, charging extortionate amounts for parking, employ over zealous wardens to cause misery and limit parking spaces?

We need free parking in our towns and cities so that small independent traders are all on a level playing field and can compete fairly with out of town shopping malls and supermarkets.

---------- Post added 13-01-2015 at 07:28 ----------

Unfortunately for this argument the majority of parking spaces are not owned by SCC, they're privately owned. If SCC did not charge for the few spaces they own then the businesses who operate parking premises would be fully justified in taking SCC to court.

Plus, any shortfall in SCC's income from parking charges would have to be raised from somewhere else.

There is still on-street parking which could be free. When you limit something in demand, cause unnecessary stress and increase the cost it encourages motorists to park outside the 'rules'

I'm skint and would like to provide better services for my family and friends, but this does not justify me setting parking traps for motorists and stealing their money.

From what I read Sheffield city centre is a dump.

If I'm wrong it's the good people of Sheffield giving me false information.:)

That's what happens when you're naïve and ignorant. There are other good people of Sheffield telling you you're wrong.

I'd stick to shepherding if I were you.

---------- Post added 13-01-2015 at 07:24 ----------

I'm skint and would like to provide better services for my family and friends, but this does not justify me setting parking traps for motorists and stealing their money.

If you're skint it would be a daft idea to work for nothing. There's no reason SCC should offer free parking. They're not stealing people's money. They're charging for a service.

Meadowhall shopping centre ......... FREE

Meadowhall retail park ................ FREE

Genuinely I’ve never been to Meadowhall, not even through the door for a look.

For a start it’s a 30 minute drive there if there are no jams on the IRR and it’s a 10 mile round trip so petrol is a factor even if it’s only £3 worth

Some on here imply its a shopping nirvana. Work colleagues and friends who shop there tell me they dread having to go to the place. Even my misses who loves shopping (she must do she used to live in Leeds) will only visit it once a year under duress.

So other than free parking and shops that are also on-line what’s it got to tempt me? Come on sell it to me.

Genuinely I’ve never been to Meadowhall, not even through the door for a look.

For a start it’s a 30 minute drive there if there are no jams on the IRR and it’s a 10 mile round trip so petrol is a factor even if it’s only £3 worth

Some on here imply its a shopping nirvana. Work colleagues and friends who shop there tell me they dread having to go to the place. Even my misses who loves shopping (she must do she used to live in Leeds) will only visit it once a year under duress.

So other than free parking and shops that are also on-line what’s it got to tempt me? Come on sell it to me.

Some years ago I had a heart bypass, MeadowHell was a great place then, very therapeutic. It was winter time, I needed to do some gentle exercise and that place was ideal, warm, dry, reasonably flat, plenty of places to rest where I could read or just people watch, OK I did buy coffe but that was it. Thank you MeadowHell, you came in very useful.

Most other city centres of similar size have much denser populations than Sheffield so prosper from increased footfall.

So the Meadowhall area would still prosper from discouraging motorists? Why don't they pedestrianise it all, charging extortionate amounts for parking, employ over zealous wardens to cause misery and limit parking spaces?

We need free parking in our towns and cities so that small independent traders are all on a level playing field and can compete fairly with out of town shopping malls and supermarkets.

---------- Post added 13-01-2015 at 07:28 ----------

There is still on-street parking which could be free. When you limit something in demand, cause unnecessary stress and increase the cost it encourages motorists to park outside the 'rules'

Re bib. There is a cost to provide parking whether it is in a city centre or an out of town mall. Meadowhall choose to absorb that cost into their rents etc so that parking is free at the point of use. There's nothing to stop city centre traders (large or small, independent or chain) buying up land and building free car parks, either individually or in consort with others. Alternatively, they could approach existing car parks to arrange to pay the car park owners directly to make places available for free for their customers. If the cost of parking is really such a problem, why aren't traders doing something about it?

Parking in the city centre can never be entirely free, it is a multi use environment - people work and live there as well as shop. The people who work and live there would use the free parking before shoppers., the emphasis must be on traders to subsidise parking for their customers and create a system which the parking they provide for free is not used by people who aren't shoppers.