The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Wrong. The PM does not know the opposition leaders questions in advance, only some open questions. She is reacting on the hoof to Corbyn.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/business/questions/

"This means, in theory, that the Prime Minister will not know what questions will be asked of them. However, the Prime Minister will be extensively briefed by government departments in anticipation of likely subjects they could be asked about."

Clearly she is not briefed by Corbyn about the questions he will ask her.

Thanks for the clarification...

So why did she refuse to debate with him?

Thanks for the clarification...

So why did she refuse to debate with him?

Presumably she was advised not to.

They would have weighed the benefits against the negatives and concluded that the risk of not coming across well would be worse than the perception of her if she didn't debate at all.

Also, Corbyn said he wouldn't be taking part in the debate until the day before.

I didnt notice May avoiding people. But this is the Labour thread so lets talk not avoid the question like usual... you think it's good for a potential (however unlikey) PM to be one who avoids tricky situations?

Wasn't it Mrs May who avoided all the televised debates at the last election?

Presumably she was advised not to.

They would have weighed the benefits against the negatives and concluded that the risk of not coming across well would be worse than the perception of her if she didn't debate at all.

Also, Corbyn said he wouldn't be taking part in the debate until the day before.

So it was better for Theresa Mayhem to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Yeah...she needs a script in front of her

But we've already discussed the fact that she doesn't have a script at PMQs, and she doesn't know what Corbyn is going to ask her in advance, and yet she regularly out performs him.

But we've already discussed the fact that she doesn't have a script at PMQs, and she doesn't know what Corbyn is going to ask her in advance, and yet she regularly out performs him.

But thats just your opinion Robin, I have seen many many clips where he destroys her, but you see it that way because you wish it to be true..

Corbyn was asking her to debate up to the elections, but then decided to withdraw as she was too scared to go up against him, and he deemed it pointless if she wasn't there, dress it up how you want, but she was scared to debate with him, why does she avoid crowds? Why would she not mingle at Grenfell? Why will she not interact with people?..

But thats just your opinion Robin, I have seen many many clips where he destroys her, but you see it that way because you wish it to be true..

Corbyn was asking her to debate up to the elections, but then decided to withdraw as she was too scared to go up against him, and he deemed it pointless if she wasn't there, dress it up how you want, but she was scared to debate with him, why does she avoid crowds? Why would she not mingle at Grenfell? Why will she not interact with people?..

It's not just my opinion. There are always verdicts released after PMQs by various pundits and newspapers, and May has often outperformed Corbyn according to these - not me. To claim that that isn't true shows your own bias, not mine.

During the election campaign she was doorstepping, which obviously involves interacting with people. As I explained, I imagine she was advised not to take part in a head to head debate because the perception of her not taking part in the debate didn't outweigh the potential negatives of her coming across poorly.

They will know that she doesn't come across well and is quite awkward in interviews.

Seeing as she managed to increase the percentage share of the vote, and got the highest share of the vote for any conservative since John Major despite alienating her core voter base and refusing to debate shows that her advisors were probably correct.

It's not just my opinion. There are always verdicts released after PMQs by various pundits and newspapers, and May has often outperformed Corbyn according to these - not me. To claim that that isn't true shows your own bias, not mine.

During the election campaign she was doorstepping, which obviously involves interacting with people. As I explained, I imagine she was advised not to take part in a head to head debate because the perception of her not taking part in the debate didn't outweigh the potential negatives of her coming across poorly.

They will know that she doesn't come across well and is quite awkward in interviews.

Seeing as she managed to increase the percentage share of the vote, and got the highest share of the vote for any conservative since John Major despite alienating her core voter base and refusing to debate shows that her advisors were probably correct.

that is indeed very true, and in a televised debate with Corbyn she would lose, if her and her advisers had thought she would have come out on top they would have gone for it

who are her core voter base and how did she alienate them please ?