The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

A bit ditzy but She meant well.

I liked all of New Labour's Minsters. They gave the country hope and freshness after 2 decades of increasingly corrupt and selfish Tory rule.

Granted it came at a cost of vastly overspending, illegal wars and ultimately a complete and utter lack of trust in politicians, but none of that was directly on Jowell. RIP.

Are you deliberately targeting me? Or am I not even allowed to have an opinion of another's post now?

For your information I have read all of catpus' post which is a verbatim account of JC's responses to questions put to him by channel 4, and should clear up any misunderstandings about JC's relationship with Hamas and Hezbollah.

It's is clearly more than you've done, as your sniping and ignorance knows no bounds. If you have any questions about the post I suggest you address them to catpus, otherwise it's starting to look a lot like personal harassment.

Replying to you is not targetting you Anna, please less of the drama...

It's fine for you to have an opinion. But you might want to have a critical look at the opinion. I mean you say here...

It's very difficult these days to get an impartial opinion on anything, particularly now that the internet also feeds self-supporting propoganda, fake news etc to it's clients. So it's important to use a wide number of sources and check out their sources too.

that people ought to check their sources. But when I ask you to do just that - you accuse me of targeting you?

So why is that Anna? Why one rule for you and one rule for me? Thats not targetting btw - thats asking a reasonable question...

Edited by Obelix

2014ish (might have been 2015) My son was a fan. I was exactly like you - everything I knew about him was negative and so was my opinion of him. My son was trying to convince me that the press was biased (oh the irony) and I didn't get it.

Jeremy Corbyn was holding a rally at the Crucible theatre, so I agreed to go (to shut him up.) I went, and was amazed that he was saying all the things I thought, and all the things I was arguing about down the pub and making sense.

I started researching the things I was seeing about him in the press and on TV, and was appalled at the blatant bias and downright lies I was hearing. I began to like him more and more, and the things he wanted to do. I joined the Labour party so I could help get him elected. Incidently, I'd never heard of Momentum and have still never come across one.

I've never been to another political rally but went on the odd demonstration when I was a student. and I also sometimes attend the public gallery of the council meetings, especially if something I'm interested in is coming up. I've also met a couple of MPs at their local surgeries.

The problem is that Corbyn can say anything when in opposition because frankly it means chuff all. A little different if you are the Government because you are held to account.

Angel1.

The problem is that Corbyn can say anything when in opposition because frankly it means chuff all. A little different if you are the Government because you are held to account.

Angel1.

To a certain extent I would agree with you, complacency is a friend of the politician. But I honestly believe Corbyn is a new breed of politician, who means what he says and will try his damnedist do it. He doesn't court popularity by just going along with the status quo.

What does worry me is that the unelected Establishment mandarins and civil servants will throw so many spanners in the works he'll not be able to get anything done. But that would be true of anyone who tried to stop their lovely gravy train from rolling along. It's going to take somebody very determined and passionate to bring it to heel. I think Corbyn is the only one who can.

To a certain extent I would agree with you, complacency is a friend of the politician. But I honestly believe Corbyn is a new breed of politician, who means what he says and will try his damnedist do it. He doesn't court popularity by just going along with the status quo.

What does worry me is that the unelected Establishment mandarins and civil servants will throw so many spanners in the works he'll not be able to get anything done. But that would be true of anyone who tried to stop their lovely gravy train from rolling along. It's going to take somebody very determined and passionate to bring it to heel. I think Corbyn is the only one who can.

If Corbyn were to become PM how do you think he will/should handle the big Union barons that currently bankroll his party and prop up his own leadership? People such as Len Mcluskey?

And will he be able to control pressure groups such as momentum that wish rape and cancer upon his political opponents?

Edited by Jonny5

Blair was the right man at the right time, when the country was doing well, and 'we were all middle class now.'

Sadly that's no longer true, and a lot of the things people took for granted as being permanent fixtures, (and were very hard won over many years,) have all but disappeared. Free Education, health care and dentistry, social care etc and then there are the things under serious threat, like housing, decent jobs, training, crime fighting, welfare, libraries, investment in infrastructure and so on.

We need to rethink where we are now, and what we want to do about it. The Tories have cut all these things and we are on a downward path, productivity and exports down, stress and worry up. Only Labour will work to restore them.

Last I checked people were still educated for free - I get NHS treatment for free... Social care is still there depite the wailings of the papers..

Last I checked people were still educated for free - I get NHS treatment for free... Social care is still there depite the wailings of the papers..

Since when can £9,000 a year for higher education be classed as free?

Waiting lists, fighting for treatment and rationing of services in the NHS often mean private (expensive) care is the only alternative.

Is £2,500 per month (minimum) for a care home, free?

£14 an hour for a carer to come to your home...?

Waiting lists, fighting for treatment and rationing of services in the NHS often mean private (expensive) care is the only alternative.

Is £2,500 per month (minimum) for a care home, free?

£14 an hour for a carer to come to your home...?

Higher education is a choice..it's also an investment in yourself...

Higher education is a choice..it's also an investnot

And not so long ago it used to be free, but no longer.

Edited by nikki-red

Higher education is a choice..it's also an investnot

And not so long ago it used to be free, but no longer.

Maybe Labour shouldn't have introduced them then? Maybe you should email Mr Blunkett and let him know he was wrong..

Edited by nikki-red

i think it all depends how you define free

I was on low income while working

I am now on low income as unemployed

Till 16 i got free education, i presume its still free?

I went to college for a while back in the day, it was free (my eldest has a debt from college / uni for student fees, but she also gets a bursery as we were / are on low income.

Some NHS like dentistry is free while on a working low income, and more NHS things like prescriptions are free to low income being unemployed.

My youngest is at college and gets free college meals as i am unemployed too, just like she did at school

Changing the goalposts from "education" to "higher education" I see?

---------- Post added 14-05-2018 at 14:21 ----------

S

An alternative yes. So healthcare is in fact still free then yes?