The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

I don't think the Labour party is exactly overburdened with talent at the moment. It's still full of Blairites (although a lot less now that they think they have a chance of winning,) A lot of the newcomers are well meaning but inexperienced and struggle when dealing with what is a pit of vipers. But Thornbury is old school, I'd pit her against the best of them, and she'd win. So would Benn.

and not forgeting Barry Gardiner as well

certain people on here should have a look at their favourite politicians before throwing stones, like peoples champion old Nige

Farage was born in Downe in Kent, England, the son of Barbara (née Stevens) and Guy Justus Oscar Farage.[17][18][19] The Farage name comes from a distant Huguenot ancestor.[20] One of his great-grandfathers was born to German parents who migrated to London in the 19th century.[21] His grandfather, Private Harry Farage, fought and was wounded in the First World War.[22]

His father was a stockbroker who worked in the City of London. A 2012 BBC Radio 4 profile described Guy Farage as an alcoholic[17] who left the family home when Nigel was five years old.[8]

From 1975 to 1982, Farage was educated at Dulwich College, a fee-paying independent school in south London. In his autobiography he pays tribute to the careers advice he received there from England Test cricketer John Dewes, "who must have spotted that I was quite ballsy, probably good on a platform, unafraid of the limelight, a bit noisy and good at selling things".[23]

On leaving school in 1982, he decided not to go to university, but to work in the City, trading commodities at the London Metal Exchange.[17] Initially, he joined the American commodity operation of brokerage firm Drexel Burnham Lambert,[19] transferring to Crédit Lyonnais Rouse in 1986.[19] He joined Refco in 1994, and Natexis Metals in 2003.[19]

stockbrokering, commodities trading, fee paying schools not very working class now is it?

So Corbyn is against them but still cosies up to them . By the way Benn is not old school , his father was but he certainly is not

i would say he is trying to win them round

So Corbyn is against them but still cosies up to them . By the way Benn is not old school , his father was but he certainly is not

They're a bit like Tigers protecting the cubs until they can defend themselves.

Corbyn wants a new kind of politics which is more honest and conciliatory and that requires loads of self confidence. That means at the moment a nasty politician who is prepared to punch way below the belt can wipe the floor with them.

He also needs a public that is ready to hear the truth and not the propaganda that they've been fed for years. It's going to be a hard slog to achieve that. He's going to have to fight not only public perceptions, but an Establishment that wants to keep it that way: them in the dark, uninformed and subservient.

Edited by Anna B

Corbyn is Lenin to McDonnell's Stalin.

Splitting hairs misses the point. They are both awful but one is little bit more likely to put a bullet in the back of the other's head when the time comes.

certain people on here should have a look at their favourite politicians before throwing stones, like peoples champion old Nige

stockbrokering, commodities trading, fee paying schools not very working class now is it?

Farage is a parasite that has made a career out of fooling people that are desperate and naive.

So that's something else he has in common with "Jeremy".

---------- Post added 12-12-2017 at 08:21 ----------

Corbyn is Lenin to McDonnell's Stalin.

Splitting hairs misses the point. They are both awful but one is little bit more likely to put a bullet in the back of the other's head when the time comes.

For me Corbyn would be Trotsky in that analogy. But i do not think either of them are the real leaders of Labour.

I think it's becoming clear that Corbyn is a Howard Beale puppet being used by much darker forces. Corbyn doesn't have the wits to control the party on his own. All the evidence points to him being a very stupid man.

Lest we forget this the man that wanted to fully withdraw from the EU the day after the referendum and to keep making nuclear submarines to keep the workers happy but without them being nuclear.

Edited by Jonny5

For me Corbyn would be Trotsky in that analogy.

Corbyn would have to be an intellectual for that to be so. He's lots of things, but I didn't have him down as that. :P

This could make a good game. I'll have John Lansman as Nikita Khrushchev.

I can't come up with a thrusting youngish Trotsky doppelganger off the top of my head. The only ones who come to mind are Seamus Milne and Paul Mason, but Milne is too much of a follower and Mason is simply off his head.

Farage is a parasite that has made a career out of fooling people that are desperate and naive.

now that part we can agree on ;)

The Labour party lead in the polls, almost entirely down to Jeremy Corbyn, is now 8 points ahead of the Conservatives.

And just a week later:

Voting Intention: Conservatives 42%, Labour 41% (10-11 Dec)

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/12/12/voting-intention-conservatives-42-labour-41-10-11-/

Why are Labour not doing better?

And just a week later:

Voting Intention: Conservatives 42%, Labour 41% (10-11 Dec)

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/12/12/voting-intention-conservatives-42-labour-41-10-11-/

because the mass media are hiding the good bits (as inconsequential as they might be) and showing all the bad bits?

theyve gained on the tories more than before the election?

youve also got to take into account brexit and the majority did vote for it it, so id say quite a large proportion of the population have turned slightly inward looking, selfish, and dare i say right wing?

Because they're sitting pretty on the fence, whilst the Conservatives are tearing each other to bits, and so keeping well away from the edge of the public/massmedia parapet.

When was the last time you saw the MSM report on Corbyn/Labour in any substantive way?

All these Labour statistical 'gains' have been by default, i.e. as a result of continuing Tory infighting and Ministers' confusing ineptitude, rather than new Labour policies and opposition work.

Politically, it's still the correct play at this time, so who could blame them?

Don't expect them to come off that fence just yet, either. There's a ways to go yet, until enough of the electorate is ready to buy <whatever> Labour peddles, just for the sake of being rid of the Conservatives. But that situation is coming, slowly by the week.

Edited by L00b