Sheffield Half Marathon is a shambles

Keep on blaming the council if it makes you feel better.

I just feel sorry for all the volunteers who spent lots of time organising this event, all for free, only to be let down by the water suppliers who I suspect were getting paid to provide the water.

Just in case you did not know, this was not organised by the council!

Regardless of who is to blame, I do feel for those who trained hard for it, those who forked out for hotels and the volunteers. Things like this shouldn't happen.

Just a small point that no one seems to have thought about, when the runners go out training very often covering a greater distance than the half marathon, do they have water stations set up then?. I think you will find the answer is a big NO, they take their own in little bottles so why has it turned out to be such a big problem.

Very good point.

But the organisers provide all runners with a good map of the course setting out exactly where water stations are, so runners plan ahead, intending to tank up.

When early starters may have found no water at an early water station they may have assumed there'd be no more liquid anywhere else. That was what was being implied, if not actually told. For fast runners that's a big issue, not so much for we crawlers at the back, especially on an overcast day.

Anyway, it's a condition for the licensing of a race that water is provided as set down in the official plan. By 9 it clearly wasn't, and wasn't likely to be in the near future at the official water stations. A very hard decision to have had to make, cancellation.

It strikes me there's some people really struggling with the concept that the council had no dealings with this. Oh, and while we are at it, struggle to see there's no link between the organisers of SHM and TdF.

The water calamity doesn't bring shame on me as a Sheffielder... the stupidity of some of my fellow Sheffielders does.

The organisers can sue the water non suppliers anyway.

The runners could ask for their money back, depends on how the ts and cs are written. There should be a section on cancelation. A large part of that goes to charity anyway. Not sure many runners will ask for their entrance fee back.

Wonder what the Tour de France organisers will think of this. Pull out of Yorkshire maybe??

Or maybe they will.. you know, you said it yourself...

ORGANISE it?

If they don't then it will be a shambles of their own making with no-one else to blame

It strikes me there's some people really struggling with the concept that the council had no dealings with this. Oh, and while we are at it, struggle to see there's no link between the organisers of SHM and TdF.

The water calamity doesn't bring shame on me as a Sheffielder... the stupidity of some of my fellow Sheffielders does.

But then someone allows these chosen folks to, organise a race and close roads. But then there will always be those who feel the need to make sure non of this rubs off on the council.

The organisers can sue the water non suppliers anyway.

The runners could ask for their money back, depends on how the ts and cs are written. There should be a section on cancelation. A large part of that goes to charity anyway. Not sure many runners will ask for their entrance fee back.

I think you are right there.