Sheffield Half Marathon is a shambles

Weren't the water suppliers delivering the water direct to the actual water stations to be given via cups?

I honestly don't know mate.

If that is the case though; maybe it's not the best way to go about it?!

having read most of the comments,i find it hard to believe that scc don't have anything to do with this,as a organiser of a large event,we were always told we must submit full plans,

meet several times to discuss ect,and all aspects of importance has to have there approval

plus doesn't the final finish line area belong to them,and finally as a local supermarket owner said,even if it cost scc money why did they not go to the local cash/carrys near by

as there mountains of bottled water in them,roll on the tour de france,and its scenic route for the world to see.

If you are going to say they are responsible then please back it up with some evidence. I think the overwhelming majority of people have accepted that SCC were not organising the event. This is an event that has passed off without incident for 30 years.

It would be interesting for you to tell the forum what bits of the council need to approve what. I suspect the plan wouldnt have been far off what was used in previous years.

How does pwning the final finish line area make them in any way responsible for water not turning up?

They tried to acquire nottled water from supermarkets, but I suspect 10,000 bottles is betond your local cash and carry. Bot sure why you are still going on about SCC paying for such. If they werent running it, then why should they?

the TDF ornaginsers are completely different, but do carry on talking it down.

Has the half marathon been organised by volunteers (without SCC assistance) for a long time now? - and was it previously run by the council (in better financial times?).

For future events like this, maybe we'll have to bring in top level volunteers, like the Gamesmakers from 2012... :D

Except maybe the many volunteers did nothing wrong, it was more some planning by a few people and being let down for whatever reason.

I honestly don't know mate.

If that is the case though; maybe it's not the best way to go about it?!

I'm if it was done this way it would have been for budget reasons. It would have cost the organisers to hire somewhere to store the water and then they would have had to transport all the water to the water stations.

To minimise risk of things going wrong, how about having a contract with my primary supplier to deliver a week in advance; with a penalty it they fair to deliver. Also, agreements in place with other suppliers, in case primary supplier falls through.

Is that kind of thing not feasible? (am not an event organiser by trade).

That's standard (bar the penalties thing) - arrival times, set by times who is providing what. As bedders alluded to, Water stations should have been set and ready to go before the runners got out of bed.

Everything should have been done yesterday, all ready for today.

Only last minute organisation deserves all they get for running so late.

At last common sense.

The club i run with host a half marathon every year and always get the water delivered at least 1 day before the race.

Why couldn't Sheffield do the same? there are plenty of empty commercial units to store it in.

Has the half marathon been organised by volunteers (without SCC assistance) for a long time now? - and was it previously run by the council (in better financial times?).

For future events like this, maybe we'll have to bring in top level volunteers, like the Gamesmakers from 2012... :D

Only way these games makers would come to Sheffield is to bypass it and go to Manchester instead :hihi:

So you believe the council meeting in which they fare deciding upon the future of DVS should have gone like this:

Chair - So we are agreed to close it because it's losing us money that we can't afford.

Everyone - Agreed.

Visionary bureaucrat - Hang on a moment, won't the Sheffield Half Marathon need somewhere with a good PA system, just incase their water supplies go pear shaped?

Everyone - Ok lets keep DVS open.

---------- Post added 06-04-2014 at 18:27 ----------

Weren't the water suppliers delivering the water direct to the actual water stations to be given via cups?

I don't think they should've rushed to close DVS down like they did, but that's another topic.

It is quite poor though that the organisers didn't have a suitable PA system fully tested in advance - if it had been something more serious than a water shortage - such as happened in the Boston Marathon - you'd like to hope there would be some way of passing out clear information to the public. Whether the council (or other authority in charge of the event) would insist on such testing of equipment is unknown.