Sheffield Half Marathon is a shambles

At last common sense.

The club i run with host a half marathon every year and always get the water delivered at least 1 day before the race.

Why couldn't Sheffield do the same? there are plenty of empty commercial units to store it in.

what do you mean at last. People were suggesting that a long time before bedders ever posted.

We have made it, The BBC main news has just come on and guess what along with the missing air liner the most prominent story is .

How ironic, missing airliner potentially in the sea while Sheffield could not provide enough water :hihi:

If you are going to say they are responsible then please back it up with some evidence. I think the overwhelming majority of people have accepted that SCC were not organising the event. This is an event that has passed off without incident for 30 years.

It would be interesting for you to tell the forum what bits of the council need to approve what. I suspect the plan wouldnt have been far off what was used in previous years.

How does pwning the final finish line area make them in any way responsible for water not turning up?

They tried to acquire nottled water from supermarkets, but I suspect 10,000 bottles is betond your local cash and carry. Bot sure why you are still going on about SCC paying for such. If they werent running it, then why should they?

the TDF ornaginsers are completely different, but do carry on talking it down.

So it's possible that as it had gone okay previously, the organisers were possibly a little complacent, as nothing ever goes wrong in the half marathon...? I'm sure they (or their successors) will be vetting everything much more closely next year :)

To be positive about this - at least on one hand it isn't the biggest event in the world - it's embarrassing for the city at the moment though - perhaps it will help to shake off any complacency for organisers of future large public events in Sheffield, and to make sure they check everything they possibly can to avoid a similar cancellation.

I ran this race today, admittedly towards the back! but I would like to make the following observations:-

1. We were initially told the race may be delayed until 9.30am, we were later told it would definitely be delayed until 9.30am. After that, when we were all penned in behind the barriers and 9.30am came and went we received no further information ... end of... the first we heard that the event had been cancelled was when a spectator came down to tell us ... we all thought he was joking at the time as the waiting had gone on so long ... a few minutes later it transpired he was not! Having trained for several months, and after suffering injury and being prepared to run through this to raise funds for our chosen charity, it was absolutely disgusting that we were informed only by 'way of mouth'!

2. Why the hell wasn't there enough water... what were the organises organising? tips for future reference a) arrange road closures b) supply water.... not too difficult is it?

3. The people and local businesses on the route were amazing! would like to make a special mention of a truck that appeared to divert from its normal delivery to unload, I think, bottles of buxton water onto the side of the road! Also costa coffee shipped its staff outside with refershments

4. South Yorkshire Police were an absolute disgrace, how dare they try to stop members of the public from running on public roads?! That is where the real issue lies, the organises (although they dropped the ball on the water front) had no real alternative but to cancel the event, but for the police to say, and I quote "don't you even dare of trying to run" to a fellow runner smacks of police brutality (Hillsborough anyone???) luckily the fellow runner replied " its for charity mate, what you gonna do? chase me?!

I ran this race today, admittedly towards the back! but I would like to make the following observations:-

4. South Yorkshire Police were an absolute disgrace, how dare they try to stop members of the public from running on public roads?! That is where the real issue lies, the organises (although they dropped the ball on the water front) had no real alternative but to cancel the event, but for the police to say, and I quote "don't you even dare of trying to run" to a fellow runner smacks of police brutality (Hillsborough anyone???) luckily the fellow runner replied " its for charity mate, what you gonna do? chase me?!

To be fair to the police, on one hand they were being told it's unsafe to start the marathon (H&S grounds), and then loads start running anyway - if they'd not made at least a token effort to stop the runners, and then someone got seriously hurt or ill on the run, you'd have had people attacking the police for not trying to stop a supposedly unsafe race... they couldn't really win either way? I really wouldn't try comparing it to Hillsborough, a very different situation.