Goodbye to the Castle Market

I went in yesterday. It was 50-100% busier than normal. I had a walk round and made the following observations.

1. the complex is a massive building with the outside shops/inside offices being larger that the market imo.

2. Downstairs was mostly shut down except for about 2 stalls selling clothes. Always sych a difficult task for stalls down there to survive for the sake of a few steps. Many a buisness died down there. All stalls in new market on one level.

3. Upstairs suffered as well, but I forgot about the hairdressers. there used to be a lovely polish shop there a few years back. It looked out of place because it was so well kept. It would have thrived in the new market. The heel bar who I think is moving is one of the star shops.

4. Market itself really was a dump and negelected so am amazed the stall holders still managed to keep it alive.

5. I was surprised by how few viable stores there were and how many have fallen by the wayside. I hope the new market is much healthier and starts to sell a bigger variety of better quality produce.

6. There are a massive number of cafes.

7. It might have good memories for some but the move was twenty years overdue. I dont think the stall holders will regret it, but the rents and environment were in a bit of a timewarp.

8. I hope they knock the complex down quickly as it will just be an eyesore now.

9. There are plenty of down to earth nice stall holders in the market, which make a change from high street shops ripping you off. That's why I used it.

10. Sheff 71 did you mean the pork butchers the one that sold cooked meats? he sold up and transferred his bysuness about six months ago to a rival opposite the fish stall on the same block. No idea if they will restart in the new market.

11. Publicity for new market should have been a webpage and have had details of what stores are in there. A twitter feed for a £20m project seems a bit lame.

Well I dont care what anyone says I will miss it I met my husband in there in 1968 (he was a butcher at Burkinshaws)

I never used Castle Market in the 25+ years been in Sheffield mostly down to working full-time and never being in a place where I could nip out at dinner time. Only been in it handful of times.

But it's one of Sheffield's great icons so I hope the Moor market takes off big style and the council do something suitable to the site when they pull it all down. End of an era :( or :) dunno yet

It is the end of an era, but I feel that the new market will get a decent footfall at first, then people will decide how good it is. I said to wife yesterday who has gone in CM almost every Saturday for over 22 years, will you use new one.

She said she'll give it a go, and see how it is, okay CM was a dump but it had character that is built up over years, the new market has got to work it's socks off to get the character back.

Let's hope the new market brings some much needed life back to the moorfoot

Yes let's hope the new market breathes life into Moorfoot.

Atkinsons have been batting alone down there for so many years, it's time they had some support. If the market is the catalyst to success then I hope in years to come the people of Sheffield, the council and maybe Forum members remember the efforts that Sheffield store has put in over the decades.

Yes let's hope the new market breathes life into Moorfoot.

Atkinsons have been batting alone down there for so many years, it's time they had some support. If the market is the catalyst to success then I hope in years to come the people of Sheffield, the council and maybe Forum members remember the efforts that Sheffield store has put in over the decades.

I can see this being the catalyst to regenerate the Moor, which has been hanging on with its collection of pound shops, empty stores and stores selling tat for too long. With Sevenstone looking unlikely, maybe the Moor will once again become one of the main shopping areas? Especially when the new cinema opens in a couple of years. People will have a reason to go to the Moor again and this will help the other shops, like Atkinsons.

The Castlegate area died a long time ago and the Moor was going the same way - maybe by concentrating the shops and market in one place we'll see at least one shopping area prosper?

What was the name of your stall ??

I worked as a 'Saturday Boy' through most of the early 80's in the Castle Market (also through school and college holidays). My memories are of endless laughs, some great characters and the best Xmas Eve's I've ever had! visiting 'Turn Up's' nightclub at lunchtime, drinking tinned Stones all afternoon (while still working) and snogging with the Saturday Girls on the loading bay! Oh to be young again!