Goodbye to the Castle Market

Yes it is sad in a way,I too remember going to get some cockles in the market on a little plate,good memories,still things do change and like you lets hope the new market will thrive and continue to for many years to come.

I worked on the shellfish stall on Saturdays and in the school holidays .Whittingtons I think it was called .Alan owned it last I knew . Hard ends were my favourite .

My mum used to take me, usually accompanied by her mum in the 1970s. I recall the treat of visiting the pet shop (a five year old's delight) and then the different smells of the market, the fruit, the fish and so on.

I remember the upstairs cafe with the plastic seats which I think were attached to the tables. Pigeons would flutter around the ceiling. It was usually cold.

But, like the Hole In The Road, its days were limited and time sadly, waits for no-one. Shopping habits have changed and the Castle Market area is ripe for redevelopment.

I'll recall the place with a degree of fondness but I don't think that will quite stretch to being able to say I shall miss it.

I remember visiting the market with my mum as a kid. Like Ousetunes says, the different smells are what stick in my mind, meat, fish, the cafes etc.

But times change - Castle Market has served the city well but it's time for the new markets to take over. I won't miss the old markets but I know many who will.

whens it actually close?

it will be a shock at first, its all ive known obviously, but like ive said before its been needing a change for so long

whens it actually close?

it will be a shock at first, its all ive known obviously, but like ive said before its been needing a change for so long

I'd imagine in about 4 or 5 hours time?

I'd imagine in about 4 or 5 hours time?

ah todays the last day then

i shall have a toast in its historic memory tonight then, and toast the new one

ah todays the last day then

i shall have a toast in its historic memory tonight then, and toast the new one

I'm weighing up whether to go as its a bit cold. Chippy will still be open though. Over half the market is kind of shut down anyway bt virtue of empty stalls.

You will be shocked at just how bright and airy the new place is when it opens on Monday. Bit worried they dont have enough high quality stalls, but that might change over time if it becomes a profitable place to be.

I'm weighing up whether to go as its a bit cold. Chippy will still be open though. Over half the market is kind of shut down anyway bt virtue of empty stalls.

You will be shocked at just how bright and airy the new place is when it opens on Monday. Bit worried they dont have enough high quality stalls, but that might change over time if it becomes a profitable place to be.

yeah i saw the photos from the new one last night

I went to the castle market with my nan dad and brother every Saturday parked on park hill flats and walked over the bridge.

We went in the fish market and bought a crab as a treat some weeks

Bought waffle trousers for school from harringtons climbing the stairs to try them on

Great memories of busy stalls and bags full of veg n fruit

Sad memories as well as once we walked across the bridge to see ambulance after ambulance racing underneath towards hillsborough news unfolded as we entered the market that something was wrong at hillsbororough people huddled around a radio on bomber Graham's jewellery stall. My uncle was at the match and we worried all afternoon as rumours circulated fortunately he was safe but many others weren't rip to the 96

Rip to castle market end of an era but times move on and good luck to the new market

I went to the castle market with my nan dad and brother every Saturday parked on park hill flats and walked over the bridge.

We went in the fish market and bought a crab as a treat some weeks

Bought waffle trousers for school from harringtons climbing the stairs to try them on

Great memories of busy stalls and bags full of veg n fruit

Sad memories as well as once we walked across the bridge to see ambulance after ambulance racing underneath towards hillsborough news unfolded as we entered the market that something was wrong at hillsbororough people huddled around a radio on bomber Graham's jewellery stall. My uncle was at the match and we worried all afternoon as rumours circulated fortunately he was safe but many others weren't rip to the 96

Rip to castle market end of an era but times move on and good luck to the new market

i think most people have lots of fond memories and stories of the place

Went in this morning while in town for a last look round, and it brought back a lot of memories... most of the fish market was still open (except one of the stall I actually wanted to go to, that's packed up), and it looked pretty busy - must be a sad day for those who do spend a lot of time in there.