Goodbye to the Castle Market

This is not a thread of debate. This is purely a place to say goodbye to a market that has been a part of many a Sheffielder's life and also to many of Sheffield's immigrants who are more used to shopping in local markets than superstores. I, for one, will miss it but hope the new market will have similar traders in a nicer environment and not turn into a mini mall full of greggs, starbucks, etc.

Anyhoo, i plan to visit tomorrow for a tray of whelks as that's my first memory of the castle market around 1982 when they cost 12p.

It's been coming for a while but it still feels sad.

It is sad, my mum works there and is finally hanging up her apron at 71, but we have to move on if Sheffield is to progress.

Bye Castle market. :wave:

This is not a thread of debate. This is purely a place to say goodbye to a market that has been a part of many a Sheffielder's life and also to many of Sheffield's immigrants who are more used to shopping in local markets than superstores. I, for one, will miss it but hope the new market will have similar traders in a nicer environment and not turn into a mini mall full of greggs, starbucks, etc.

Anyhoo, i plan to visit tomorrow for a tray of whelks as that's my first memory of the castle market around 1982 when they cost 12p.

It's been coming for a while but it still feels sad.

Yes it is sad in a way,I too remember going to get some cockles in the market on a little plate,good memories,still things do change and like you lets hope the new market will thrive and continue to for many years to come.

Sheffield needs a market. With local traders. If the new market fails, then this is a very sad loss.

I went in today and it will not be missed.

Nigeria probably has better markets than that.

if you miss it from your childhood then fair enough but if your gonna miss it in its present state then your crazy.

my granddad reg from wybourn used to take me in every sat- for tripe

sad day for all and for the old timers that used to shop there whos no longer with us:(

Might go tomorrow. Thing is the actual stores in them that are any good are very small in number. Not only has the building been neglected and in decline but so have the market stalls.

Thinking about it there may be 3 fishmongers, 6 butchers and 5 fruit and veg plus maybe another 10-15 stalls of much note. there are also plenty of stalls that its hard to see how they survive.

I really want the new market to flourish and there is a need for a great market. I hope it doesnt become overpriced. If prices go up then they also need quality and variety of produce.

I haven't been to town for ages probs 10 years may go and say the last Farwell......

Edited by patrick38

I went in today and it will not be missed.

Nigeria probably has better markets than that.

if you miss it from your childhood then fair enough but if your gonna miss it in its present state then your crazy.

In that case I am proud to be considered crazy as I have used the Castle Market for fifty years and will miss it like an old friend.

In that case I am proud to be considered crazy as I have used the Castle Market for fifty years and will miss it like an old friend.

well said

my granddad used to go every morning for hes bits

now hes gone and the market will soon be - feeling sad:(

and Monday is a new start ,:) lets hope it lasts longer than the 2 old markets we used to have

there's a reason why simmonites is doing so well on division street. and that is cos it's selling fresh fish that actually has taste at a reasonable price. something that supermarkets, despite their convenience, do not do. the market building is grubby yes, but the traders still have a purpose. i hope they survive. or it's tescos, starbucks and greggs in every city. and that would be very dull indeed.

many many happy memories of castle market but its time to say goodbye.will be in new market later,looking forward to it.time to make new memories over a plate of whelks [i hope]