Would you move back to Sheffield

Best of both worlds then downunder :-)

Better Guiness here :-) and at least you don't have to watch the blades :-) :-)

Guinness better in UK for sure & cheaper!!! Tom just paid $11 for a pint & he still watches blades. Lol.

You know who I am so hope you and the clan are ok.

Regards J

"Move back to Sheffield ?" Haha ! Im as sick as a parrot that i cant get away from the place. Lived here all my life but its just a tip now !

I've lived in many different places over the years for varying lengths of time but have always come back to Sheffield. Why? Because it's home! That said I agree with many saying how much things have changed. The bad areas have got worse, the better areas less attainable. I think when I do get round to moving again Ill be very unlikely to return except to go under the sod',:gag::gag:

Visited Sheffield recently and travelled down Herries Road with my ex wife for nostalgia, where we once lived ,then through Fir Vale and Upwell Street an area now alien and devoid of indiginous residents, through an area I travelled for many years to the once vibrant industrial areas now many long since gone.

The area now has been totally degenerated , caused by flawed successive Government policies and under these circumstances would not return to Sheffield.

I like many others brought up in Sheffield and thought no better place to have lived , but those times have gone maybe never to return.

Gary Marshman

North Wales

I could not move back to city living now, having lived in the sticks for over 50 years. The last time I was in the city centre, they had already started to beggar it up and had dug a bliddy great hole in Hight Street at its junction with Angel Street. I keep in touch through this forum mainly because I still have siblings living in the ares and it is interesting to see what they have to put up with.

Mike

I left Sheffield in Jan 1983 to live in NZ. I loved it there but we decided to move to Perth WA in 1986. I go back to Sheffield when I can as we have family still there. Great to go back and (get my fix of the people & place) then love to come back here. I call Perth home now. I do get melancholy now and again especially this time of year. Xmas is not the same here even after all this time. I prefer the cool weather and as I get older I can't tolerate the heat. Too hot for me -temps this week in the 30s. I'm proud to say i am English.

Better beer in NZ than Oz, I would have stayed in NZ for that reason! An old mate of mine lives in Perth, done very well for an ex Gleadless Valley boy! :)

Better beer in NZ than Oz...
Yep - and the Kiwis even brew their own Guinness - but the last time I was there the Christchurch earthquake had stopped production at the brewery, which must have caused quite a thirst among Irish expats..:o

I've travelled the world quite a bit (46 countries at the last count) but I've no desire to live anywhere but the UK. One reason for not heading south is that Mrs hillsbro and I don't like hot weather, and so we are content in our cosy bungalow in North Lincs.

Sheffield has changed (what city hasn't?) but it still has a lot going for it, and I suppose I'm fortunate in that I'm only an hour or so away if I want to visit family or stroll in Rivelin Valley..:)

nice photos, hillsboro.

---------- Post added 20-12-2013 at 00:25 ----------

It still the safest of all the large cities in the country. So if that's an issue I guess you'll have to live in the countryside.

That's what I keep hearing. But, I read the Star every day and I can't help but be struck by the amount of senseless violence that seems to occur now. I just don't seem to recall it happening on this scale when I lived there in the late 40s to late 60s. There's the organist who was killed a year ago, the painter who was killed on his way home from work, the pizza delivery guy killed in broad daylight. Sure, there were gangs and murders when I was growing up but there always seemed to be a motive behind them. Am I mistaken or has there been an increase in violent crime in large British cities?

...or has there been an increase in violent crime in large British cities?
The rate of violent crime in the UK has been on the decline for several decades. More violent crime occurs in cities than elsewhere simply because more people live there, but the overall trend is downward. See for example the British Crime Survey, quoted by Wikipedia:

Rates of violent crime in the UK are recorded by the British Crime Survey. For the 2010/2011 report on crime in England and Wales, the statistics show that violent crime continues a general downward trend observed over the last few decades...

This may not be the impression given, one reason for which may be the fact that nowadays crime attracts more publicity than used to be the case.

I wonder if there are expats out there that would move back...and why?

I'm an expat! Lived in Sheffield until I was 29 then moved to Scunthorpe when Blackburn Meadows power station was closed. Eight years in Scunthorpe then on to Selby and finally Finistere in Brittany. Now 66 and never missed Sheffield. I return occasionally to visit family but apart from that reason will not return again. Too big, traffic is a nightmare and roads are like driving across fields. I have heard though from my brother that they are starting to repair them!

BE :smile:

The rate of violent crime in the UK has been on the decline for several decades. More violent crime occurs in cities than elsewhere simply because more people live there, but the overall trend is downward. See for example the British Crime Survey, quoted by Wikipedia:

Rates of violent crime in the UK are recorded by the British Crime Survey. For the 2010/2011 report on crime in England and Wales, the statistics show that violent crime continues a general downward trend observed over the last few decades...

This may not be the impression given, one reason for which may be the fact that nowadays crime attracts more publicity than used to be the case.

O(n my very last trip to U.K the crime was rampant going through Coventry all coffee shops was bared and closed by 6 the reason gave "all the Goullies come out at night and the very thought of us going to the bus station for transfer at night horrified the family saying we would be mugged for sure (they land up driving us to the airport),Now maybe the last 45 yrs in Canada as made me a little soft and just not use to the low life this being a very safe country 95% of crime is very local in the big citys and very Ethnic ,where I live now almost no crime and all from Children up very polite and kind hearted, so no I will never even visit Sheffield or anywhere in the U.K again

O(n my very last trip to U.K the crime was rampant..
Well, as Hillsbro correctly wrote, the truth is that violent crime in the UK is declining. The figures speak for themselves.
... I will never even visit Sheffield or anywhere in the U.K again
And I don't think you'll be missed. ;)