Would you move back to Sheffield

This thread has much in common with many previous ones, but one thing that posters - at home or abroad - on these threads have in common is their Sheffield heritage, and fleetwood hits the nail on the head here. It seems a little pointless to say "Sheffield has changed" when everywhere has changed, especially in the years since my (baby boom) generation were growing up. I suppose it's natural to look back on one's youth with a certain nostalgia, and to think that things were better then. Well, to take one aspect of days gone by, I wouldn't want to wake up in a freezing cold bedroom and go down two flights of stairs and across the yard to the toilet, only to find the Tilley lamp had gone out in the night and it was frozen solid.

In reply to one point that was raised, as I previously pointed out there was more violent crime in years gone by than nowadays and things are still improving, but most of our lives were not touched by this. Yes - there seemed to be more "community spirit" in the 1940s and 1950s (this was partly the subject of an interview I gave for a housing professionals' journal - click here to read it; I'm the littlest one in the 1951 photo.:)). But the future is more important than the past, and I think Sheffield has done very well to re-invent itself, having lost 80% of the jobs in heavy industry. Job creation in the public and service sectors mean that the city's unemployment rate compares well with other cities, and Sheffield is still a good place to live

To answer the OP's question "Would you move back to Sheffield" my answer would be "no". Of course, being retired I can live more-or-less where I choose to live, and a little corner of North Lincolnshire suits me fine - but I am glad that I came from Sheffield.

That article is a good read Hilly. Puts all the current whining about 'child poverty', 'fuel poverty', etc, etc. into perspective. It's all relative of course but the only real poverty I see today is that of pride.

Moved back 3 years ago with my 4 children after 30 years!!! I had family here so came "up home" at least 3 times a year. I love being back and Love Sheffield, fortunately so do my children.

Mon Dieu. You lucky sod.

Actually, you are not doing so bad yourself, love Tassie. If I have any money left next year, I hope to come down for a short tour.

All the best,

Millsie

---------- Post added 26-12-2013 at 21:40 ----------

???????????? for some people to remark about Australia being sand surf etc, it's time they had a geography lesson, some places are like that in Oz, but the countryside where we live is like Stannington with it's farms , and the Rivelin Valley with it's tree's and streams, we have waterfalls and dams etc over the hill, so I find this area very much like what the outskirts of Sheffield used to be like before they started building all the new estates.

The benefits of living here for us is mainly the weather, and it suits us down to the ground, and I have lived here longer than we lived in Sheffield.

Sheffield is where I was born and spent my first 27 years of life, But I chose to stay in Oz after seeing a place that we really liked, and the rest is history.

Everyone has a choice as to where they want to live, and I wouldn't pull anyone down for going to live wherever their heart was, so just enjoy your chosen destination, and don't lose any sleep over the choices that others have made, life is too short for that.

Welcome back to the real world again Skippy, hope that you are back to normal running!

I think that you still miss Bullerboy though. Ask him to hold up a banner saying 'Hi Skippy' when it goes passed him near Musgrave Road!

Just imagine the Tour de France going passed the bus stop on Shirecliffe Road, outside what used to be the Co-op. If someone had told me that this would happen when I was a kid riding around on my second-hand Raleigh all-steel, I would have thought them ready for Middlewood, or what the today equivalent is.

All the best in 2014 mate

Millsie

Sheffields a nice city everywhere has its bad areas page hall looks bad these days i grew up in that area and it was great in the 70"s:confused:

Sheffields a nice city everywhere has its bad areas page hall looks bad these days i grew up in that area and it was great in the 70"s:confused:

Welcome back ,been away some warm i hope:rolleyes:

---------- Post added 27-12-2013 at 13:31 ----------

But even in the Grimm they must have taught you its wrong to steal in one way its a compliment you want to be more like me (Warm. kind and full of joy) by STEALING my Avatar but i'm afraid it just cant work a Magpie hiding with the Pigeon's is still a Magpie and i do hope you'll seek help with your problem RE your constant hatred

On my channel package I have with my TV is a station from the Middle East called Aljazeera it originates from Doha Qatar. To see and listen to it, it's not unlike CNN News or BBC World News. All the male and female Announcer/Anchors appear to be English, anyway one evening while watching, there was a reference made about Sheffield, I perked up at this. What followed was not pleasant in fact it was downright disturbing, it was showing the Page Hall area and making references to a Sheffield ghetto. This area that I had walked a thousand times as a child was being depicted in the most terrible way. My grandparents lived in three different locations in that vicinity along with two aunts and uncles living close by. During the broadcast, Roma was a word being used to describe ethnicity and the dialogue was all about Rumanian and Bulgarian immigrants with pictures of a Gypsy caravan site and a man who appeared to be a spokesperson talking about claiming benefits that was rightfully his, also a disturbing reference was made about children urinating in the street. This is an abbreviation of what I saw and heard, I don't know what political slant this Aljazeera Network has or what it's real function is in the whole scheme of things. The reason I am using this thread is because I recall some similar references made along these lines. My last comment is 'I know what I saw' and 'it wasn't the Sheffield I knew'.

Edited by fleetwood

Hi fleetwood - the Sheffield you knew is gone forever. In some ways things have got better, and some areas of the city change more than others, but naturally, cities evolve.

From what I've seen of Al Jazeera its current affairs reporting is accurate - perhaps too accurate for some regimes. To quote Wikipedia "...when, on 27 January 1999, critics of the Algerian government appeared on the channel's live program El-Itidjah el-Mouakass ("The Opposite Direction"), the Algerian government cut the electricity supply to large parts of the capital Algiers ... to prevent the program from being seen"..:|

I refer to the comment made by Fleetwood on the report submitted by Al-Jazeera Channel. You could be right in assuming this channel would deliver biased reports on Western States, but along with Russia Today ( RT ) you will find more factual reports being broadcast than the UK propaganda channels.

I could well have contributed to this thread on the degeneration of Firvale , Upwell Street areas , also known as Page Hall. I once lived on Herries Road with my first wife and in fact schooled in the Pitsmoor area in the 1950's .

However the Russia Today report confirmed the depravation we experienced on our trip down memory lane to these areas in Aug last year.

I do not blame the Sheffield Council but Central Government for its forced immigration policy of which this country is unable to cope with the influx.

Gary Marshman

...I do not blame the Sheffield Council but Central Government for its forced immigration policy of which this country is unable to cope with the influx...
But the government's hands are tied by the so-called European Union. The real fault lies with the Heath government that got us into this mess in 1973..:(

I concur to the comments by Beechnut , but Cameron and his school chums failed to allow the promised referendum on exit from the EU from last election, and again has promised similar if the Tories should win the next election.God preserve us if any of the 3 main parties should win any further elections.

Heath 's treaty was a Common Market trade pact between European countries , as we were lead to believe. Now we know the thinking behind the plan was a United States of Europe is easier to control than independent nations .

Where do you think Ted Heath got his boat Morning Cloud ?

Blair and his brood now admits that their policy of unrestricted immigration policy has now failed.

Of course the ode applies 'Closing the Stable Door after the Horse has Bolted' prevails

Gary Marshman

...God preserve us if any of the 3 main parties should win any further elections. ..
The most likely outcome seems to be another coalition, the makeup of which may reflect the growing support for UKIP. But Sheffield will survive as the city always has - we've seen worse times. As far as the economy is concerned, in the post-industrial age Sheffield people seem to have found plenty of employment in the public and service sectors. There were and are always scroungers (home-bred or imported from the EU) but Sheffield soldiers on. Edited by hillsbro

There could be Tax Payers money for investment in our country, but our Cabinet made up of Cameron and his school chums still thinks he knows best donating some net £45 million per day to the EU, Foreign Aid to places like India who even have a Space programme, and would you believe the latest revelations, £2 million per annum to Argentina, who at any time could retake the Falklands and £750k per annum to North Korea, can anyone believe the logic ?

Uk is the most heavily populated nation in Europe as well the deepest in debt. and nothing ever changes for the better.

Mind as you say we are controlled by America ie The New World Order , and the EU.

Gary Marshman